CMS Software

Hi. I’m an experienced programmer but a newbie on web stuff. I have inherited the position of webmaster for a simple, static, HTML/CSS website for a small non-profit org. It is currently hosted on DH and works fine.

In the past, the webmaster has done all of the changes to the pages (which is what I’m currently doing, using an HTML editor).

I would like to allow the (non-technical) users to be able to edit their own web content, so I think I want to implement some type of CMS software package, such as Joomla, Mamba, Drupal, etc.

Am I on the right track here? Does anyone have any specfic recommendations for a good package for this type of situation? Thanks very much.

I think you are very much on the right track, and given your description of what you want to do, I highly recommend either Joomla, or WordPress (yes, WordPress!).

1. Joomla, particularly the newish 1.5 version, is likely to provide all the functionality you need but is more “full-featured”, meaning it might involve a bit more learning to use efficiently.

2. WordPress, while generally used as a blog platform, is highly usable as a basic CMS given it’s “pages” functionality. I know of one web “designer” that builds everything in WordPress and ends up with projects that look nothing at all like blogs, but retain all the ease of editing and content creation that a “blog” package offers (which makes it really easy for her users!).

I think WordPress is easier for “non-techies” to get their heads around, but that Joomla is the more powerful platform overall.

Drupal is nice too, but I don’t think it is as easy to use for non-technical folks as Joomla or WordPress.

You might also want to take a tour around http://opensourcecms.com, where you can see these, and many more, FOSS cms systems “in action” (you can log into as a user, , play around the admin areas, etc.) because there are many other packages out there. :wink:

–rlparker

The best package for your situation depends on a lot of things, including but not limited to what kind of content and other application features you want (forums?), how much workflow you want (article approvals?), and how much fine-grained authorization you want over the content. In addition to the big-box CMS’ like Joomla! and the ilk, you should take a look at blogging software like WordPress, which is much simpler to set up but has been increasingly providing more sophisticated content management features over time.

It would probably be helpful to myself and others here to see the current website!

Sounds exciting and you’re definitely on the right track!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

I feel like a clone…

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off

Thanks very much for this information. When you say WordPress is easier for non-techies, are you saying that WordPress would be easier for the end-user-content-editors to use or for me-the-webmaster to set up, or both? Thanks again. Mark

Hi. The website in question is www.groundswellnw.org. It is currently drop-dead simple, but we have plans to add some more advanced features (like a membership sign-up, etc.). Thanks again. Mark

Yep, sounds like you’ve definitely got the right idea!

The popular CMS in these parts tends to be Joomla. It’s feature rich, has a lot of plugins, and probably most helpful of all, it’s available as a One-Click Install. As an added bonus, because it’s so popular around here, there’s a lot of people on these forums that really know what they’re doing with it and could probably help out if you ran into trouble.

That said, I don’t use Joomla. Most of the websites I work on are either blogs (for which Wordpress is my favored choice) or are simple, static things which sound a lot like you described. For sites like that, I tend to feel as though Joomla, Drupal, Mamba – the “big” CMS packages – are somewhat akin to using a gasoline powered swiss army knife with superchargers when a pair of scissors will do. That’s led me to gravitate toward CMS Made Simple which I’ve manually installed in a few places and is pretty easy to get up and running.

[[edit: Dear god, when I started writing this post, nobody had yet answered the thread. o_o]]

You are most welcome, Mark! Actually, I think WordPress is easier for both, though since you describe yourself as a programmer, I can’t imagine either would present any problems for you. :wink:

Both packages are extremely well packaged and, even if you install them yourself, are a breeze to set up. Even this is not much of an issue on DreamHost, as the DreamHost “one-click” auto-installer robot thingy supports both products.

–rlparker

Thanks again. I’ll look at Joomla and Wordpress and figure out which will work best for me. Mark

I like CMS Made Simple quite a lot too, and I agree that it works very well for many sites. Along those same lines, I’ve also used Website Baker, which also works well and is easy to use.

–rlparker

Ha ha ha! Hey, being a “clone” wouldn’t be all bad depending upon who you are a clone of (thinking some uber-rich, uber-handsome guy here), but you don’t want to feel like a clone of me! Man, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone … even a clone! :slight_smile:

Actually I think it’s great that the original poster got multiple responses in a short time - that rocks!

–rlparker

This is the first I’ve known of Website Baker, but a quick look around their website does make it look pretty nice. I’ll have to give it a test-install in my spare time and take it for a spin. Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’m taking this out of context as great advice for the OP: Try out a number of different solutions - either in different subdomains or different subdirectories. Pick the one that “feels” right to you as a solution to your specific situation.

I agree completely with that advice! That’s one of the things that is so great about http://opensourcecms.com/ - you can do much of that without installing a thing! :wink:

–rlparker

Hi, we use Kentico CMS (www.kentico.com) in our company. I think it is very powerful solution and it is very easy to use especially for end users…

Unfortunately Kentico is not free but I have to say it is worth every dollar…

[quote]Hi, we use Kentico CMS (www.kentico.com) in our company. I think it is very powerful solution and it is very easy to use especially for end users…

Unfortunately Kentico is not free but I have to say it is worth every dollar…[/quote]
Well, I think I can safely identify that post as spam … considering that ASP.NET thing won’t even run on a DreamHost server, it’s pretty obvious the “recommendation” is not coming from a DreamHoster who is using, or has ever used, it here. :wink:

–rlparker

Yes, you can identify my post as spam ;-). Of course our company does not use DreamHost server. I have my personal web site here…

I use that as well. I think it is from Kenya.
I like the roasted aroma. I can say it is very nice and not too expensive. I bought six last time.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Norm, you crack me up!

(what’s the thumb’s up emoticon, now?)