CMS Recommendations?

apps

I’m usually against the “cookie cutter” look of cms and just make a site from scratch, but I’m willing to give it a shot for a website I plan on making. Here’s some things I’m looking for:

• php (yeah, just about all of them)
  • can be fully integrated with mysql since I’m very familiar with it
  • has to be easy to add custom “modules” that can access the data in the database. As well as making of the actual pages to be somewhat simple, since I’m thinking a lot of the content will be made from scratch, depending on what plugins already exist for it.

Basically, it’s going to be a locater site that will find places in your area and it will hopefully do things like searching by zip code and stuff (Don’t like going into details as to what it will actually be looking for since I’ve found people then start talking about that and not the actual topic at hand). So if you know of any CMS that already has zip code searching plugins, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Todd Eddy
vrillusions.com

I recommend Drupal.

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

Drupal is good. If you like it, you might also want to take a peek at CivicSpace which is built on the Drupal platform and is aimed more at activism, but it does have a US zipcode database you can download.

I have also experimented with Mambo, and been impressed with its flexability.

All of these are OS (which is a plus in my book), but most only come with a few default templates. If you want to avoid the “cookie cutter” look you’ll have to be familiar with PHP and CSS to design/modify your own custom template (or be willing to pay someone to do so).