Cloudflare without "www"

Cloudflare became available here quite a while ago, and I tried to set it up. However, it refuses to work, because I have my domains redirect to remove the “www.” in front of the URL. The DH domain panel says that this is incompatible with Cloudflare, and “we are working with Cloudflare to remove this limitation”.

It has been a long time, and it STILL does not work unless I set things to have WWW in front of my URL. Any timeline on when this will work?

Hi,

Using CloudFlare through the panel option requires the www entry (DNS RFC compliance only allows us to provision via CNAME).

Note: This does not apply if you are signing up directly for CloudFlare.

So … if I change to use “www”, then sign up, can I change it back to the non-www URL, and it will still work?

This isn’t an issue if you signup directly for CloudFlare (don’t need to use www). You can use a naked domain (domain.com) without a www entry signing up directly. The www domain is currently required activating through partner because of DNS RFC compliance issues.

So he’d have to sign up through CloudFlare without the WWW and then hook 'em up?

Bleah, silly compliance. no-www!

Yes, that would work (we would have to be managing the DNS records in this case).

We’re actually trying to build something to get around that DNS RFC issue…but that will likely take some time.

But is it still the case that if a customer signs up directly with Cloudflare, then

1. if Dreamhost changes the IPv4 number of the customer’s website, it is the customer’s responsibility to copy the change into the settings at Cloudflare

and 2) Dreamhost reserves the right to change IPv4 numbers without giving notice (though they do say they will try to give notice)?

I’ve stopped using Cloudflare until this is fixed (or until an IPv6-only solution is viable).

"1) if Dreamhost changes the IPv4 number of the customer’s website, it is the customer’s responsibility to copy the change into the settings at Cloudflare"
Yes. We can’t modify your DNS zone files automatically because we don’t know what IP it has been changed to. You would have to update it manually.

"and 2) Dreamhost reserves the right to change IPv4 numbers without giving notice (though they do say they will try to give notice)?"
This is not within CloudFlare’s control.

I’m not sure how these issues are something that CloudFlare could solve, really.

Hi Damon.

“I’m not sure how these issues are something that CloudFlare could solve, really.”

Well I was hoping Cloudflare could solve the problem by handling both IPv4 and IPv6 requests from the outside world and communicating with the website at Dreamhost through IPv6 only.

I put in a request to this effect in the Cloudflare help system in February, and the reply was “I will have to check with our network engineers to see if this is possible”.

Do you have any updated information?

Hi Damon,

So just after two years later, has there been any headway made on this “fix” for cloudflare?

No, largely due to the DNS RFC compliance issue. We can’t really guarantee a change to RFC specs that we don’t control.