Closing Account and Domains

I no longer have need for my Dreamhost web hosting, so I’d like to close my account to save money.

However, I have some domains that I recently registered with Dreamhost and I’d rather not pay a domain transfer fee to move each of them to another registrar when it would basically waste the months they have until expiration.

Although I used the private whois setting, as I understand, I’m still the owner of the domains. So if I change their dns settings to another host and close my account, will they remain active and owned by me?

Or do I have to pay the transfer fee for all of them now?

Again, I no longer want any hosting service or server space, just the ability to access my account to manage my domain settings.

[quote=“therealneil, post:1, topic:54594”]
However, I have some domains that I recently registered with Dreamhost and I’d rather not pay a domain transfer fee to move each of them to another registrar when it would basically waste the months they have until expiration.[/quote]

I can’t answer your main question, about the ability to have an account with no hosting plan. Hopefully someone else can!

Just wanted to note that, AFAIK, nothing gets “wasted” when you transfer a domain between registrars.

Let’s say you have a domain that expires in July 2013 (for example). If you transfer it to another registrar, yes, that other registrar will make you pay an extra year’s worth of registration, BUT, after the transfer goes through, the domain will expire in July 2014. So they do force you to pay it, but then they give you the full credit for it, as well.

This is how it worked for me as recently as… late last year, I think was the last time I did a transfer. I was transferring to Dreamhost, but I don’t figure it’s much different going the other direction.

Hopefully someone else can answer your other question!

Ahh thanks very much. That answers what I need to know.

Wasn’t aware that transferring simply added on to the term, rather than restarting it.

Thanks for the insight!