Chmod question

Well I am feeling really stupid again. I had posted in another forum and got the answer I wanted. Now that I am looking at trying my hand at installing a php software and I am reading the instruction manual, I got confused again.

I understand that I have to do the typing of the code with this chmod part. But where does this get typed? I did a search here and through Google and I am stumped. Great instructions about what typing with chmod can do, but not any notes about where it gets done.

Hoping for some insight. Sorry if I posted this in the wrong location, but feeling very newbish on this topic.

Thank you,
Colleen M.

You can chmod while in shell, or easier still using an ftp client.

Usually right-clicking a file in ftp will bring up a chmod (or Properties) dialog.

Hi Colleen,

You can use SSH client like putty. You can download it here.

More Dreamhost guide related on helping you use putty to execute SSH commands :

1. Putty
  2. SSH
  3. CHMOD

Hope it helps !

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $50 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code !

Thanks for the responses. I was able to figure out the chmod. I did get Putty and figured out how to use it. I posted in General Troubleshooting about a new issue.

I really appreciate the help,
Colleen M.

You’re Welcome.

Glad that it helps :slight_smile:

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $50 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code !