Chimera Issues?

I had put in a support ticket earlier, but now I’m begining to wonder where the problem really lies so I pulled it because I’m begining to think it’s on my end–hopefully somebody here can shed a bit of light on this. I’ve been seeing a couple of weird issues with Chimera (a MacOS X-only browser, based on the Mozilla Gecko engine).

First of all, I’ve been completely unable to access the Dreamhost Control Panel from my home computer when using Chimera; if I hit panel.dreamhost.com (or any sub-url) I always get a “500 Internal Server Error”. This occurs with both most recent nightly and current stable builds of the browser. I am able to access the Panel using Mozilla or Internet Explorer, though I prefer not to.

The funny thing is, I just found it seems to be working from my connection at work (at least, it is today); I use Cox (cable modem) at home, and am on a University backbone at work.

Assuming nothing has changed since this morning so it still isn’t working at home, I’m wondering what might be up with this “server” issue (if it really is–never had a problem with Chimera otherwise).

The second issue was temporary, only occuring between about 4am and 8am last night: when I tried to view any of the sites
connected to my Dreamhost account, the browser bounced between a “Sending request for…” and “Connecting to…” message for a few seconds, then displayed a “Document contains no data” error. Re-logins (on my computer) didn’t help, and IE is able to connect
properly. Dreamhost.com was working fine.

Any guesses as to what may be causing/have caused either of these issues, or has anybody seen anything similar? I haven’t messed with any funky preferences as far as my browsers or general internet settings go (no custom DNS or hosts file or anything).

Incidentally, if you’re running MacOS X and aren’t using Chimera, give it a try–first browser I’ve happily replaced IE with.

I haven’t had good luck with Chimera myself, and I don’t have my Mac here at the moment, but we have several employees that use it, so I’m pretty sure that if there were a Chimera-specific bug that it would have been addressed.

You might try clearing your cache, history, cookies, etc, and then shift-reloading the page. You can also try going to:
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?Nscmd=Nlogout

It’s possible that you just have messed up session data that’s causing this… the steps outlined here may help with that.

Hi Makosuke -

I’m not sure what the problem is, but if it’s any help the web panel works very well with recent Chimera builds for myself and another co-worker.

Maybe clear your cache, as Will suggested, and delete any cookies related to DreamHost? Chimera is getting pretty stable these days, but it can still be a bit wonky sometimes.

• Jeff @ DreamHost
  • DH Discussion Forum Admin

Ok, now I’m just creeped out. The session data was the one thing I hadn’t messed with, and it sounded very plausible, so I went home to try it… and Chimera logged in perfectly. Before I did anything at all. Apparently, it DID fix itself yesterday morning, for no apparent reason whatsoever (I changed no settings, and I know it hasn’t worked for days).

Perhaps something in my own cache expired coincidentally, but in any case all is well for no readily apparent reason now. Guess complaining to the outside world put the fear of God into the app or something. I only wish I knew why it fixed itself–I hate resolutions without a re-usable explanation.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway, and glad to know that some folks at my favorite webhost are using my favorite browser!

[quote]Thanks for the suggestions anyway, and glad to know that
some folks at my favorite webhost are using my favorite
browser!

[/quote]

There are a few of us. Actually, my main browser of choice is OmniWeb, but it doesn’t work as well in the panel as Chimera.

I also keep IE around for those cases that neither Chimera or OmniWeb work, but those are steadily decreasing.

[quote]I only wish I knew why it fixed itself–I hate resolutions
without a re-usable explanation.

[/quote]

One word: “Gremlins”

Anyhow … Let us know if you run into any more trouble. :>

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Omniweb is pretty nice, but Mozilla’s tabbed browsing is one thing that I am coming to rely on more and more.

I will have to give Chimera another try soon… the version I tried had a few annoying glitches, so I gave up on it…

[quote]Omniweb is pretty nice, but Mozilla’s tabbed browsing is
one thing that I am coming to rely on more and more.

[/quote]

Yup. Tabbed browsing is the main thing I’d like to see added to OmniWeb (well, improved CSS and Javascript support would be nice as well). Supposedly they will be adding tabbed browsing support in the 5.X time-frame.

Chimera has very good multi-tabbed browsing, though. The main reason I like Chimera is that it’s far less of a “kitchen-sink” browser as Mozilla, and actually (gasp) uses native OS X widgets.

If you haven’t done so in a while, grab one of the nightlies. They’re pretty stable these days.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

Well, everything seems to work just dandy in Apple’s new Safari browser.

Worth trying if you’re on X (wicked fast), although no tabs for fans of such. Tabs are indeed a nice convienence, although I don’t think they’re the be-all and end-all feature.

Gotta concur. It’s the fastest browser I’ve ever used. It lacks tabbed browsing, but I’m guessing Apple will put that in after they receive a flood of requests for it.

I really, really, really hate the brushed metal appearance. I know there’s a hack to get rid of it in most apps, but I don’t like that it gives developers bad ideas.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

I haven’t checked it out yet, but Nate was using it earlier, and it looks pretty darn fast. Not only that, but it renders our internal stuff pretty well. From what I hear, it’s based on Konquerer (sp?). I like it all except for the brushed metal finish.

There are a few other neat little tricks. I don’t know if I can give up tabbed browsing though.

[quote]There are a few other neat little tricks. I don’t know if
I can give up tabbed browsing though.

[/quote]

Yeah. If you want tabbed browsing on a Mac, you’re basically limited to Chimera or Mozilla. :expressionless:

The Omni guys have promised it, and Apple will probably get the hint (they’re slow, like most big companies, but usually respond to customer feedback eventually). We’ll see.

• Jeff @ DreamHost