Changing web address'

Hello. I currently have a website up on this web address: foundationofpeace.org.
I would like to move this website to a new web address which I just registered: elenctic.com.
How do I move an entire website, with all it’s content, to another web address?

In shell:

mv foundationofpeace.org/* elenctic.com/

assuming no databases, you really want to move, not copy, and both are hosted in your dreamhost home.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

I’m sorry, but I don’t know what you mean by 'shell.'
Could you walk me through it?
I do want it totally moved from the current web address to the new one as the name of the organization has changed.
Thanks for your help.

Somewhere to start:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/Shell

Basically, in the panel set your user to have shell access. Get a ssh client like Putty. Use putty to logon to your server.

----------
[color=#00CC00]ANONYMOUS0 => Max Discount[/color], [color=#6600CC]ANONYMOUS2 => Max Discount less $1[/color] or Cut the code, [color=#CC0000]it’s their birthday:[/color] [color=#00CC00]9999 => $99.99 Off[/color]

Another option is to simply rename the web-directory via your FTP client. If the web-directory for your old domain is ‘foundationofpeace.org’, simply rename it to ‘elenctic.com’ and specify this as the web-directory when adding the new domain to the hosting system via the panel.

Of-course, you could skip the renaming part and simply specify the old web-directory when adding the new domain, but this could cause confusion later.

Note: Any absolute references to foundationofpeace.org anywhere on your site will break things, so you will need to hunt these down and change them to reflect the new domain name.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

[quote]Note: Any absolute references to foundationofpeace.org anywhere on your site will break things, so you will need to hunt these down and

[/quote]

Good point. Here’s another option, which will automatically make some conversions. From /home/user/elenctic.com/ in shell, enter:

nohup wget -np -r -p -k http://foundationofpeace.org/index.htm &

----------