I've been scrambling putting together a new site (subdomain of our existing site) to replace our outdated Joomla website before it's disabled. I've developed the new site using WordPress. The directions I received for making the new site live, replacing the old one, include:
- rename the new site folder in ftp to match that of our old site
- change the folder in the dreamhost panel
- changing the website url using these directions http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL
SO - I've worked since this morning trying to change the folder name in ftp from new.website.org to website.org. CoreFTP works for about two hours, and ends delivering the following failed message: Invalid local file name or path
I have two questions:
1. what am I doing wrong in ftp that I can't rename the folder?
2. Is there something else I should be doing with the old website folders, should I rename those, delete them - what? It seems like there's an important step missing in regard to replacing the old site with the new one.
Anyone with patience and understanding for a total newbie to WordPress and to working this extensively in DreamHost able and willing to offer me guidance?
I'm so frustrated at this point, and I've googled and read and googled myself into being totally lost.
Thanks in advance to anyone willing/able to offer me direction.