My usual user ID didn’t work - I found the one I’m using on a e-mail from 06 when we first went on to DreamHost, and it finally let me in, but it has a completely defunct e-mail address associated with it, so it’s very possible it’s not the correct account.
YES, I definitely have a domain hosted here and have since Nov. of 06.
I did the history as you instructed it and shows two payments - the first I made in 06 for 2 yrs of hosting, and the one I made today to cover 3 months - Nov & Dec (overdue) and Feb as an attempt to get things up and running. Considering it’s the wrong e-mail address, I didn’t trust that it’s even the right account so I didn’t want to pay the full amount until I get this cleared up. But the system doesn’t seem to want to recognize anything but the full 2 yr pmt as sufficient to re-enable the account.
Sorry to be so detailed and to usurp so much of your time. I clearly need a human at DreamHost central to help clear this up. I’ve been working on getting site & e-mail back for 12 hrs a day for 5 days.
With MUCH appreciation Scott!