Changing open files limit

vps

Hi, I want to change open files limit on VPS but I am running into issues with that:

I am on root and when I run:

ulimit -n 32384

bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted

I unchecked dreamhost managed mode for that server. Do you know what I might be missing and how to change open files limit on VPS?
[hr]
Ok, I found the other way to do that. You need to edit /etc/security/limits.conf file instead. Thread can be closed.

Ok, it is not that easy. My problem with too many open files for nginx is back. It looks like setting is not working.

In the nxginx init script I can see:

ulimit -Sn 8000
ulimit -Su 2000

but whenever I run it with sudo to restart. I can see:
[ps126641]$ sudo /etc/init.d/nginx restart
/etc/init.d/nginx: line 13: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument

Can anyone help?

1 thing I noticed is that the problem is that nginx is running as dhapache user and inherits different set of limit. Reboot didn’t help for that.

In /proc/pid/limits for nginx I can see:

[ps126641]$ cat /proc/19381/limits
Max open files 1024 1024 files

for processed running under my account:

[ps126641]$ cat /proc/29907/limits
Max open files 132384 132384 files

Which is what I set in /etc/security/limits.conf.

• soft nofile 132384
  • hard nofile 132384

Do you know how to bump that for dhapache user as well?

/etc/pam.d/login
session required pam_limits.so

/etc/security/limits.conf

• hard nofile 8000
  • soft nofile 8000

/etc/init.d/httpd2
ulimit -Sn 8000

/etc/init.d/nginx
ulimit -Sn 8000

Note: Untested on DH VPS

Check your current hard limits (“ulimit -aH”). You can’t set soft limits (which is what “ulimit” modifies by default) higher than hard limits.

thanks, this was helpful… just to get rid of the annoying error message i’ve been getting on su about ulimit… dreamhost keeps overwriting my /etc/profile even though i changed everything on my host to not managed, and putting in the same ulimit lines that were giving an error. increasing the limits in /etc/security/limits.conf removed the error and my irritation. i had totally forgotten about that. it seems there’s several different conf files for each feature these days…