Changing a Domain Later / 2 Domains on 1 Plan

Hi, I’m very new to domain name hosting and registration, so I have a quick question before I sign up for a plan here:

If I sign up for a plan and register a new domain with Dreamhost right now, if I later change my mind about my site’s domain name can I register another domain and “attach” it to my current plan? I’m hoping I wouldn’t have to pay for an entirely separate second plan…

Also, if I initially register a name that is say www.domain1.com, and I later register www.domain2.com, could I set it up so when a visitor goes to domain2.com it takes them to the same server space as domain1.com, while still showing domain2.com in the address bar? OR could I set up different root directories on my Dreamhost space for the two different domains with each having a separate index file in their directory? I realize that it is possible to simply forward one domain to another domain’s space, but I was wondering if it was possible to link two domains to one server space while still retaining their respective addresses in the visitor’s browser’s address bar.

Sorry for the rambling post, I hope I got my question across clear… Thanks for any help clearing this up, Dreamhost looks very promising!!!

Yes you can. On the standard dreamhost plans, you only get one free lifetime domain registration so you’d have to pay for the second domain registration (or sign up using a promo code that gives you extra free domain registrations).

Yes, you could do this with either mod_rewrite or using the DreamHost transparent proxy mechanism.

I’m not quite sure what you’re after in this situation. Why do you need two different index files but the same site content? This seems to be contradictory.

Hey, you’ll find everyone here more happy to answer your questions. We may have to ask for some clarification at times, though!

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Thanks very much for clearing up my questions! As far my last question goes, let me clarify a bit more: how easy is it to host TWO unique sites on the same hosting plan (e.g. apples.com and oranges.com leading to different content)?

If I sign up for a plan and register a new domain with Dreamhost right now, if I later change my mind about my site’s domain name can I register another domain and “attach” it to my current plan? I’m hoping I wouldn’t have to pay for an entirely separate second plan…

You do not have to pay for a second plan as DreamHost allows unlimited domain names on their plans. You are only required to pay a domain registration fee of $9.95/Year for each domain you add as only the first domain is included in the plan. Alternatively, you can use one of the promo codes which offer free domain registrations.

Also, if I initially register a name that is say www.domain1.com, and I later register www.domain2.com, could I set it up so when a visitor goes to domain2.com it takes them to the same server space as domain1.com, while still showing domain2.com in the address bar? OR could I set up different root directories on my Dreamhost space for the two different domains with each having a separate index file in their directory? I realize that it is possible to simply forward one domain to another domain’s space, but I was wondering if it was possible to link two domains to one server space while still retaining their respective addresses in the visitor’s browser’s address bar.

It is possible with mod_rewrite as pointed out previously. DreamHost offers an section in its web panel named “Remap Sub-Dir” which will enable you to share certain directories while retaining others easily.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Check Out DreamHost Promo Codes

You just need to put one site in one folder and another in another folder. As standard it will automatically set up different paths for each domain one called apples.com and one called oranges.com in this example.

The other option if you really want them separate would be to set up a new user to use for the other domain. This would be useful if you have someone else working on oranges.com but that you don’t want to access apples.com. It basically gives different ftp and shell logins for the two domains.

$97 DISCOUNT with [color=#CC0000]DISCOM97[/color]
More codes

I realized later that I was a bit too brief here and my statement could be misinterpreted. I meant to say that yes, you can host as many domains and subdomains you want on your one DreamHost account for the same price, except for any domain registration fees you might have to pay for domains. I was up too late last night and might have been too brief.

You can either have these domains point to the same content through transparent proxying or mod_rewrite rules (though watch out for SEO (search engine optimization) penalties for duplicate content - or have different content entirely. As others have said, by default if you choose your new domain to be fully hosted, you’ll get a different web directory under your home directory and can host unique, different content in each one.

You should note that this is the same scheme for subdomains like abc.yourdomain.org and def.yourdomain.org. You get separate web directories and can host different content on each one. They can be related to each other but they could be totally separate and distinct.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options