Change timezone of server

wordpress

Greeting,
how to change the default timezone for the server?
I’m in GMT+1, but the server is not.
How to setup the server to be GMT+1 (CET)
Thanks.

If you’re on a shared server, you can’t change the configuration for the server as a whole, as it would affect other customers who probably are not in the same time zone as you. However, in particular programs/scripts, there may be configuration settings or commands that cause them to display times in your preferred zone.

– Dan

Maybe this can help?

gmdate() instead date() didnt work,

problem still not resolved,
please help

Are you using a specific app that is showing the time/date? or is it in a PHP coded site, or CGI? It would be very helpful to know that so we can help you. :slight_smile:

-Matttail

I’m using PHP-nuke,
and some php-nuke scripts.
i think I dont have shared hosting server, i’m using “crazy domain insane” on dremahost.

<i think I dont have shared hosting server, i’m using “crazy domain insane” on dremahost.>

Andre, If you are on crazy domain insane, you are definitely on a shared server…there is only one plan (I know of) offered by DH that is dedicated servers and that one precludes a $79.99/month price tag, and believe it or not, that is actually a pretty good deal for dedicated servers.

To be honest, I really don’t think DreamHost actually has a Data Center (speculation), I think they are a re-seller like many other companies out there in the hosting world.

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Your speculation is starting to get pretty silly and it’s making you look absurd.

http://gallery.yardley.la/move_pics

http://tavis.la/blog/index.php?p=81

Thanks for the pics, con!! :slight_smile:

I will reverse my previous speculation since it does appear that they at least have some of their own servers…I would further speculate that they don’t own the facilities in which these servers are housed and further that they only leased that space that was where the servers appeared caged in…I guess my definition of a “data center” varies from the actual definition. I consider a data center to be a huge room or floor of a building that is simply wall to wall servers…technically, i am incorrect.

btw, con, you might want to revist jeffs words about not being mean and be nice…i have attempted to hold up my end of the bargain, which is quite difficult for me seeing that i have a true proven mean streak about me…so as you can tell, it is that much more difficult for someone like me to be nice

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

<Hey, if N@sa could fake the moon landing, then DH could easily fake having a data center. :->>

NASA faked the moon landing :open_mouth:

I always speculated that the moon was made of swiss cheese…for once my speculations are proven to be well founded :wink:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Ok, Lets keep Off Topic Discussions in the offtopic catagory. Thanks.

Just to confirm, you are on a shared hosting system. Not that it makes much of a differnce. I am not personally familary with PHP Nuke, but I did a bit of searching on google and came up with this.

If you are using the forum with PHP Nuke you should be ablet to change the time setting there in the control panle, but if you allready have regisstered users each will have to change time zone settings individually.

If it’s for “news items” then you may have to change some code. Check out these two threads on a forum I found with Google.

http://ravenphpscripts.com/posts455-highlightformattimestamp.html
http://ravenphpscripts.com/postt3335.html

Hope this helps. Have a good evenning

-Matttail

I’m sorry for going off-topic again, but IAmAtMyWitsEnd’s speculations are going from absurd to utterly ridiculous.

And, if they do lease the space rather than own the facility, what does that have to do with DreamHost’s ability to run a webhosting business? There are thousands of businesses world-wide that either rent or lease office space. How would DreamHost be any different? You, IAmAtMyWitsEnd, rent server space and run your business off of it. Does that mean that you cannot effectively run your business?

MacManX.com
I don’t work here. I’m just your typical support forum volunteer.

Problem is in some PHP scripts, not in the php-nuke.

Can adding someting in .htaccess help?

Maybe this will help:

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_programming&Number=17528&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=tzselect&Match=Entire Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=17442

I have added line in .htaccess
SetEnv TZ Europe/Berlin

but the server need to be restarted, is it automated by DreamHost?

<You, IAmAtMyWitsEnd, rent server space and run your business off of it. Does that mean that you cannot effectively run your business?>

Yea, thats pretty much the gist of it :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously though, those pictures coupled with Jeff’s announcement about staffing just really hit home with me…TBH, i felt alot better when it was all still speculation…to see that tiny cage with all of our information contained in it, i don’t know…i realize that is how many small hosting companies operate - i guess i really didnt understand how small DH really is…Now, there is nothing wrong with small, small has its positives as well…its just that i think i would have felt better about things if there were like 130+ staff people with a huge data center even if it were only a dream…also, I am no genius when it comes to server management, but, ive always heard from people in the know that triple redundancy is the key to any good hosting operation and maybe DH has that or maybe they don’t …it would explain why it seems some of the changes that DH makes appear to be happening live…oh well, just my two pence :expressionless:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

Changes to .htaccess take effect immediately; a server restart is not required.

[quote]Seriously though, those pictures coupled with Jeff’s announcement about
staffing just really hit home with me…TBH, i felt alot better when it was all
still speculation…to see that tiny cage with all of our information
contained in it, i don’t know…

[/quote]

For what it’s worth (ie. not a whole lot).

• We don’t own our own data center, but rather lease space at a major facility in the Los Angeles area. We also have (much much smaller) space in N. California for redundancy purposes. Your speculation, in this case, was correct.

• The pictures you’ve been shown were from, if I recall, ~1.5-2 years ago.

• At said facility, by any meaningful measure (ie. square footage, number of servers) we are by far the largest customer there. I haven’t been down to the data center lately, but my guess is that we’ve doubled/tripled our footprint since then.

• Our Admin team works in the same building as the data center (we leased a separate office there about 6 months back so that they were in close physical proximity, for those times when console access just isn’t good enough), and spend a fair bit of time in the cage.

• The cage is very cold - and very loud - and I’m so incredibly happy I’m not in Admin.

• We are not exactly a small company any more. Not huge by any stretch of the imagination, but ‘small’ just doesn’t fit very well. I guess it’s all relative.

• As big as we have gotten, we still don’t wear suits and ties. This is reassuring, as most of us look funny in 'em.

• Purchasing or building your own data center (that is comparable to the one we use) is, by and large, an extremely expensive proposition and at today’s bandwidth rates, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense unless you are very large. Air conditioning, prox card readers, etc. are all quite pricey.

• We’ve thought about it, though, and probably will… Some day.

• Given the proper context (and the proper guy), I could be very comfortable hosting my sites with a guy with a single server.

• These are a lot of bullets.

• Jeff @ DreamHost

• DH Discussion Forum Admin

thanks for the clarifications, jeff…thats another thing that I will give your props for, being honest and not firing back with lip service we are the largest, best, blah blah blah :slight_smile:

IAmAtMyWitsEnd

returning to the topic,
problem still not resloved.

Anyone has right script/acction to change current GMT on mine server?
I need that to do!