Change the home directory for an FTP user?

Here is what I’m trying to do. I want to set up an ftp account that only has access to a sub-dir of my main ftp account. So I want to set the home directory to, for example, /home/user/domain.com/sub-folder/

Is there any way to do this? I am on the basic “My Crazy Domain Insane” plan. I fear the answer is no, but I just want to make sure.

Also, one simple question. My plan says I can host 3 domains… does this mean 3 “fully hosted” sites, or what? If I create a sub-domain and “fully host” it, does that count as one of three domains? Can I “fully host” as many sub-domains as I want, up the the number of sub-domains available on my account (I believe 15), or is that just 15 parked/mirrored domains?

If I can fully host a subdomain, that would be a good work around for the ftp problem I posed earlier.

Thanks.

You can’t do that anymore, and it was never a good idea in the first place, because a home directory is used for data about the user (mail, configuration files, logs, etc) in addition to data owned by the user (web site files).

If you intention is to provide the new user with a *virtual subdirectory on the web site, then what you want to do is this:

1. Create the user
  2. Login to FTP as the new user and make a subdirectory, eg “web_files”
  3. In Control Panel, use Domains -> Re-map Subdir to map the URL to the subdirectory you just made.
  4. Tell the other person to upload web-accessible files to the “web_files” directory.
  5. If you need to manage the files, login to FTP as that user and not as your initial user.

This way, say for example you made the URL use the same name as the subdirectory:
Login to FTP as initial user to upload files for "http://example.com/"
Login to FTP as second user to upload files for “http://example.com/web_files/

*HTTP URLs have a path component that suggests a hierarchy but does not necessarily have to reflect the structure of the file system; eg search engine-friendly URLs that take advantage of mod_rewrite. Re-map Subdir takes advantage of the web server’s Alias directive.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS

Awesome, thanks so much for the reply. I totally missed “Remap Sub-Directories” in the control panel, it’s just what I needed.