Change main domain

I have registered a domain called “maindomain.com” at Dreamhost.

Than I added a subdomain called “smalldomain.com” at that same account.

Now I would like to exchange them, so that I always log to smalldomain.com and maindomain.com is its subdomain. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!
Istok

Your description isn’t clear:

Do you have mydomain.com and subdomain.mydomain.com?

How are you logging in? FTP/SSH/Telnet/Control Panel?

It sounds like you want to make mydomain.com look like subdomain.mydomain.com and vice-versa. If so, then you can just rename them in your home directory via FTP or Shell:
Rename mydomain.com as hold.mydomain.com
Rename subdomain.mydomain.com as mydomain.com
Rename hold.mydomain.com as subdomain.mydomain.com

-Scott

Thanks. I will try that. But the point is I don’t want to FTP to maindomain.com if I want to edit smalldomain.com. I want to FTP to smalldomain.com, and then access maindomain.com. Is that possible?

In the FTP program I use (Transmit for the Mac), my bookmarks for it let me specify a working directory. When I FTP to my site, I automatically end up in smalldomain.com and then can go up to the parent directory, then into maindomain.com

By default, FTP will put you in your user directory which contains both smalldomain.com and maindomain.com

-Scott

Yes, I know. But the thing is, I want a person to FTP to smalldomain.com without ever knowing that the maindomain.com exists. :slight_smile: I don’t want to tell people “go to maindomain.com, then to smalldomain.com subfolder” whenever I give someone access.

The smalldomain.com became more useful for my business than maindomain.com and I want to look professional :slight_smile: That’s the point… thank you sdayman.

Something similar has come up before, and without having your user configure their FTP program, it’s not doable:
http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=60222&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

-Scott

When you set up a domain, you can put it in a different login account from any other domains you may be hosting, within the (pretty generous) limit on number of different shell accounts in a Dreamhost account.

– Dan