Change domain

Is it possible to change your domain name that you got for free for a different one for free (or a very small fee)?

Promo Code:
twodayslateMAX - Get the max discount on any plan.
MaxMonth - Get the max discount on any monthly plan!

Don’t think so, think you would just need to register a new domain and pay the registration fees

Get [color=#00CC00]$97 DISCOUNT[/color] with [color=#CC0000]DISCOMBO97[/color] >> More Codes

But you can supposedly let it expire (make sure it’s not set to auto-renew), then get your domain credit back, which can be used for another name.
That’s not exactly convenient if you’re looking to switch an active site over without some downtime, though.

I’d check with support, but I’d guess that you could just register a new one, let the old one expire, then switch the credit over to the new one. If you can do that, you’d only be out the $9.95 for the first year.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

Oh, so I can only wait for my other one to expire to get a new one.
That bites.
Should submit a support ticket and ask them anyways?

Thanks.

Promo Code:

It never hurts to get an answer directly from them, but generally, domains are pre-paid for a year.

If money is the issue, it would probably be a year wait.

If speed’s the issue, I’d look into registering it now for $9.95, then switching your credit over when the time comes.

Support can let you know what your options are, though.

:stuck_out_tongue: Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.

OK thanks.

Will post here when I get an answer from them.

Promo Code:

BTW, I’m pretty sure the switchover will be painless after a year. The deal is that every year you just get one free domain registration or renewal credit which you can apply to either a new domain or to the renewal of an old one.

As has been said, you will just have to pay the extra $9.95 for the first year.

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

Here is their response.

[quote]
Nope, all domains sells are final. You would need to register the other
domain you wanted for $9.95 unfortunately in the panel. =/

Also seiler’s answer is incorrect as letting it expire will just let the
domain expire, but not credit your account another free domain. Please
let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks!

Mike P.[/quote]

Promo Code:

I just wanted to quote the DreamHost Support Wiki for clarification:

[quote]Free Registrations

We will give you 1 free registration credit every year you host with us, this credit can be used to register a new registration or transfers to us. You will receive the free registration credit again, 11 months since you last used it. This will allow you to renew your registration before it expires.

Please note that you can use your free registration credit on any registration, you can use it on 1 registration this year and another next year. [/quote]
Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options