It never hurts to get an answer directly from them, but generally, domains are pre-paid for a year.
If money is the issue, it would probably be a year wait.
If speed's the issue, I'd look into registering it now for $9.95, then switching your credit over when the time comes.
Support can let you know what your options are, though.
Save up to $96 at Dreamhost with ALMOST97 promo code (I get $1).
Or save $97 with THEFULL97.