Change Domain of Wordpress from subdirectory of old domain to new domain within Dreamhost

Hi there,

I am quite new to this topic and a bit confused. In short, I want to change the domain of a one-click-installed WordPress instance that is now just pointing to some subdomain of my default dreamhosters domain.

What I did so far:

• Setup a new Wordpress for testing with the One Click Installer in Dreamhost under a subdirectory (obviously there can be subdomain and subdirectory; so I set it up to www:myuser.dreamhosters.com/mywordpress)
  • Played around with Wordpress and now actually want to use what I created so far, however, I want to give it a useful domain
  • Signed up for a domain at namecheap.com and set up the Dreamhost DNS, e.g. www:thatsmyrealone.com
  • Created a new Domain in DH panel so that the Dreamhost DNS know about www:thatsmyrealone.com
  • Did another One Click Installer of Wordpress to create a new empty Wordpress (user, files, database) at www:thatsmyrealone.com

What I want

• Change the domain name, however, I am not sure which options I have
  • I want to avoid a redirect if I enter www:thatsmyrealone.com to the old www.myuser.dreamhosters.com/mywordpress as this is visible in the address bar of the browser
  • I want to avoid (but I believe I can’t to manually migrate Wordpress, files, database, user credentials, etc.

Do you know which options I have? I know there is a lot of documentation out there, but I must know what I am looking for.

1. Some magical change in the settings?
  2. Some automized migration tool?
  3. Start from the beginning (as I did) and backup/restore the entire instance manually?
  4. …?

Thanks for your help. This could really save me days of research and work.

PS: Sorry for the confusing links, as a new user I am not allowed to post several URLs here in the forum.

You could always cloak or mirror the domain, but WordPress has its own way of handling links and neither of those methods may work.

When you say “change the domain” do you mean that you want to take what you created at the dreamhosters.com subdomain and move it the new domain? This may actually be your best option.

If so, this section of this page on the WordPress Codex is probably what you are looking for.

Keep in mind, if this is what you are looking for, you will need to delete the site and database you created for www:thatsmyrealone.com since you are moving the site and you need an empty place to move it to.

There are plugins you can use for migrating a Wordpress site, but they won’t help you to learn anything about migrating files and databases and if something goes wrong (and it might) you may not be able to figure out what it is from the plugin’s interface. (FWIW, I’ve never used a plugin. I always handle migrations myself.)

Edit: Reread question, added info about mirroring and cloaking.

Hi,

so I did quite some research and figured if I want to have a clean setup I need to re-do everything from the beginning, thus migrate. This is not a migration to a new hosting, but actually pretty much the same work.

When you say “change the domain” do you mean that you want to take what you created at the dreamhosters.com subdomain and move it the new domain? This may actually be your best option.

Yes, that was my intention. I thought there might be some easy way to just change the names and links (files, DB, domain, dns), but at the end it was a migration topic for me. I quickly scammed about cloaking and mirroring, but it seems to me as a dirty solution or workaround, as I just started I thought I want to do it right from the beginning.

I tried to understand how to copy files via SFTP & database with phpmyadmin, however, in the end, I decided to give it a try with one of the many plugins for Wordpress out there.

I was lucky as it worked out - if others ever get into the same situation I quickly line out what I did.

1. Created a new Domain in DH panel so that the Dreamhost DNS know about www:thatsmyrealone.com
  2. Did another One-Click Installer of Wordpress to create a new empty Wordpress (user, files, database) at www:thatsmyrealone.com
  3. Optional: Exported the Wordpress Database via phpmyadmin (just in case)
  4. Optional: Downloaded the files from the WordPress folder of the old site
  5. Installed the plugin Backup Guard (as free version) at the old WordPress instance and the new and empty WordPress instance
  6. Run the plugin “migrate” process in the old WordPress instance and downloaded the entire package including files and database
  7. Run the plugin “import” process in the new WordPress instance

That’s about it - I was lucky, it did the deal for me as I am not running a productive Wordpress environment. I have a clean setup again without any possible redirects of redirects.