I am quite new to this topic and a bit confused. In short, I want to change the domain of a one-click-installed WordPress instance that is now just pointing to some subdomain of my default dreamhosters domain.
What I did so far:
- Setup a new Wordpress for testing with the One Click Installer in Dreamhost under a subdirectory (obviously there can be subdomain and subdirectory; so I set it up to www:myuser.dreamhosters.com/mywordpress)
- Played around with Wordpress and now actually want to use what I created so far, however, I want to give it a useful domain
- Signed up for a domain at namecheap.com and set up the Dreamhost DNS, e.g. www:thatsmyrealone.com
- Created a new Domain in DH panel so that the Dreamhost DNS know about www:thatsmyrealone.com
- Did another One Click Installer of Wordpress to create a new empty Wordpress (user, files, database) at www:thatsmyrealone.com
What I want
- Change the domain name, however, I am not sure which options I have
- I want to avoid a redirect if I enter www:thatsmyrealone.com to the old www.myuser.dreamhosters.com/mywordpress as this is visible in the address bar of the browser
- I want to avoid (but I believe I can’t to manually migrate Wordpress, files, database, user credentials, etc.
Do you know which options I have? I know there is a lot of documentation out there, but I must know what I am looking for.
- Some magical change in the settings?
- Some automized migration tool?
- Start from the beginning (as I did) and backup/restore the entire instance manually?
Thanks for your help. This could really save me days of research and work.
PS: Sorry for the confusing links, as a new user I am not allowed to post several URLs here in the forum.