CGI Script for uploading files

Hello:
I am trying to use a cgi script for users to browse their hard drive and upload a file to me. I have the script set to POST and enctype multipart/form-data. My problem is I am not sure what the action should point to and where the cgi-bin should be I had it set to /home/username/mydomain/cgi-bin but I get an errro 404 mesage. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

You cgi-bin location seems fine to me. What the “action” should point to depends upon the script … is it free software that you can give us a link to?

–rlparker

Yes this is the free script I downloaded.

Attachment FormMailer
File Attachment
and this is the error I get no matter what browser I use

Safari can’t open the page “http://www.simplyremembered.com/home/username.simplyremembered.com/cgi-bin/upload.cgi”. The error was: “unknown error” ((null):10053)

It looks like you’re trying to direct people to the absolute server-side path rather than the absolute URL path. Your document root is the server folder /home/username.simplyremembered.com which means that clients can only see things inside that folder; they cannot actually see that folder itself.

Try changing your action to /cgi-bin/upload.cgi and see if it helps.

Unfortunately that does not work either.
has anyone done this with any other script on dreamhost? I am willing to changes scripts if someone knows a better way. Thx

While I have used many different CGI upload scripts successfully over the years at DreamHost, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I have to say, again, that I think it’s really hard to beat uber-uploader for general purpose uploading functionality. :wink:

–rlparker

Don’t worry about that Robert. I was just reading about how Finnish high schoolers say “KVG” for “Check it out on Google, you idiot.” Soon, people here will be using “RSJUUU” for “Robert Says Just Use Uber-Uploader.”

Nothing makes me as happy as finding out that I don’t have to write a little tool manually and that I can just use some neat little widget that someone else has written and shared!

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!