CGI:IRC allowable for small usage?

I want to set up CGI:IRC. It will not be used very often, and when it is, it won’t be used by over 15 people. I will also try putting it with .htaccess and .htpassword or something…

Would that be alright?

Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission. :wink:

If you have it protected from public use, and it is being used so lightly that it creates no burden on the server, then it is unlikely you will hear anything from DreamHost about it.

If it does create a burden on the server (and it *most certainly will if left available for public use), even with only “15 people”, you will hear about it!

Note, this is only my “general advice” and I do not speak for DreamHost. If you want an official answer, or an answer from DreamHost, you should post the question as a support ticket.

Ok I sent a ticket, but I don’t know if I sent it in the correct category.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the category … there are a lot of things where there really is no category that is “correct”.

They’ll still get and handle your ticket!

The person wrote

I am sorry but we do not permit IRC to run on our servers. Please let me know if there is anything else I may assist you with.[/quote]
I’m thinking about… clarifying that I’m not running a server, but that I’m running a client.

I asked again and clarified that it was a client.

I was told no because we cannot run any persistent processes. (I think that’s what it’s called)