CGI File Extensions

software development

I am new to Apache, and need some basic guidance. I want to be able to run some perl cgi files that have an extension of “.pl”. If I rename them to “.cgi”, they work fine, but I need to run them as “.pl”. I added the line “AddHandler cgi-script .pl” to the .htaccess in the directory that contains the file, but that doesn’t seem to work. I have a cludgy workaround. If I create a directory with a .pl extension, for instance “test.pl”, and place my script in that directory with the name “index.cgi” and a .htaccess file containing the line “Options +ExecCGI”, i get what I want, but there has to be a better way, I just don’t know what it is. BTW I wasn’t sure I needed the “.” in the addhandler, so I also tried the command “AddHandler cgi-script pl”, but that didn’t work either.

Any help would be appreciated.

In the default DreamHost apache setup, “.pl” files (that have 755 permissions and the correct shebang!) should “just work” right out of the box (without you having to do anything else).

You might want to drop tech support a line and have then check to see if something is not set up correctly with your instance of apache.

–rlparker