Caveats 2 - SYstems Not Go

I thought I was done posting my tech/customer services woes here, but alas not so. Again my experiences are unique to me, though I am now closer to “hating” DreamHost. On the whole I think the techs at DH are competent and doing the best they can, I think they, like DH’s mailsevers, have simply recently been overloaded. I won’t reply to posts - because my post is again a log of my support contacts and there’s nothing to discuss about the unfortunate facts…

Message from — (Mar 22nd, 2005 - 11:35:24 / #998208)
Fed Up Completely!

Given the absolutely lousy service I have received over the last week, I have decided to use another host and transfer my domain registration from dreamhost. When I go to the registration panel it tells me that my domain is not registered with Dream Host. I know that it is! When I do a who is on my domain at register.com , it confirms that my domain is registered to New Dream Network LLC, support@dreamhost.com, 213-947-1032 (a phone number that gets you nowhere) – that’s you guys. All I want to do is to get off dreamhost as quickly as possibly! I can’t do that w/o being able to point to correct DNS with my domain registrar or being able to tranfer my registration. Now because of poor record keeping and/or web panel problems, I can’t even leave. So now I have rely on this support sysytem that has proved patently unreliable to help me leave.

I beg of you, please help me this one last time and you won’t have to worry about any more of my open requests in your cue.*

Sincerely,

Reply written by hawknet (Mar 22nd, 2005 - 12:12:15 / #4237770)
Re: Fed Up Completely

Hello,

I’m sorry for the troubles, I went ahead and added your domain
registration to your account. It seems as though you registered the
domain in our old system and it did not transfer properly to the new one.
You can now modify it via our web panel:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.registration&

If you still need the call back please let us know. I’m sorry you did not
like our service.

Thanks!
Kelly

Message from – (Mar 22nd, 2005 - 12:20:41 / #998258)
Re: Fed Up Completely!

Yes, I’d like a call back.

Reply written by hawknet (Mar 22nd, 2005 - 13:35:45 / #4238014)

Hello,

Could you please let me know one more time the number to call you back at, it seems our system does not store phone numbers for closed tickets.
I tried calling you with the number we have on file (???-???-???) and it said it was out of service.

Thanks!
Kelly

Reply written by hawknet (Mar 22nd, 2005 - 16:17:00 / #4238667)

Hello,

I checked with our admins and it seems our junk mail filter has
clogged up again. It is slowly but surely processing everything so your
email should eventually get to you. Sorry again for the delays.

Thanks!
Kelly

Message from lebasi (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 10:01:49 / #998958)

Hi Kelly,
Some of my missing email came through in the junkmail, but unfortunately when I try to move them to my Inbox so that I can view them I keep getting the following error:
Error: Could not open file/usr/local/junkmail/2005-03-22/spam-19c1d7c3b2dfef0c4c2eec427edd69d4-20050317-215209-17021-01.bsmtp

Help please,

Reply written by andika (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 15:02:29 / #4242849)

Hello,

Unfortunately, due to a bug in the junk mail processing software, some emails weren’t correctly copied to your inbox, but were at the same timedeleted from your junk mail list. This means that those emails are permanently gone from the system.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused - the bug has been fixed and this will not happen again.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Thanks!
Andrea

On 3/23/05 10:01 AM, "DreamHost Customer Support Team"
support@dreamhost.com wrote:

This email is to let you know that we have received your message and
will be replying to it within 24 hours. Your tracking # is 998958.

Also, it seems as if you owe $14.95 on Account ID: -----.
Please pay this up as soon as possible by going here…
https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=billing.payment&
Thanks again for contacting DreamHost, and we’ll be attempting to do
our best to resolve your issue in the most timely and professional
manner we can!

Message from — (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 10:14:19 / #998967)
Re: Due: $14.95 Thank you very much for your recent email inqui

Pray tell, what’s this $14.95 charge for?!? I looked online at the panel and it doesn’t say wht this charge is for. Is it because I am seeking to
transfer my registration to another registrar?

Message from me (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 11:17:59 / #999008)
Transfer AWAY from DREAMHOST

Hi,
I recently started the process of transfering two domains from DH on the same
day:
www.???A.com
www.???B.net

I received an email domain transfer request on the ???B
domain allowinf me to authorize the transfer, but I have not recieved one on the www.www.???A.com. Please look into this and confirm that you received a request from ??? Domains (???.net) to transfer this domain and that you have begun to process this request.

Thanks,

Reply written by danwy (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 17:25:44 / #4243362)
Re: Due: $14.95 Thank you very much for your recent email inqui

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, you wrote:

[quote]Pray tell, what’s this $14.95 charge for?!? I looked online at the panel and
it doesn’t say wht this charge is for. Is it because I am seeking to
transfer my registration to another registrar?

[/quote]

This is for the renewal of your ???A.com domain. It looks
like you transferred the registration to us at some point, but never
notified us once the transfer completed. The domain is now in the process of being transferred from our reseller account at OpenSRS over to our own ICANN accreditted account (more about this below), so the registration service (and the charge for the last year) were just added to your account.

[quote]I recently started the process of transfering two domains from DH on the same

day:
www.???A.com
www.???B.net

I received an email domain transfer request on the www.???B.net
domain allowinf me to authorize the transfer, but I have not recieved one on
the www.???A.com. Please look into this and confirm that you
received a request from ??? Domains (???.net) to transfer this
domain and that you have begun to process this request.

[/quote]

The reason for this seems to be because of the transfer I mentioned
above. We are no longer reselling domains for OpenSRS anymore, so we needed to transfer all of the domains we have through OpenSRS over to us. We’re doing this ‘behind the scenes’ to avoid confusion with our customers, but there are some cases (such as this one) where it can cause problems. Since it’s already pending transfer from OpenSRS to us it can’t be transferred again. I’ve forwarded this message to our registration expert though, hopefully he’ll be able to give you more information and a suitable resolution to this. He should be in contact with you shortly.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks!

Message from me (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 17:44:15 / #999324)
Re: Due: $14.95 Thank you very much for your recent email inqu
Ok, I transferred my registration to you a year ago and I did notify you that the transfer was complete! And it was a free procedure at that time. I have no idea what your new procedures/policies are now. But I do not feel that I should have to pay for DH’s internal errors. Of course, I 'd probably pay you willing if you would just let go of my domain immediately.

By the by, just yesterday I wrote to say that my domain registration didn’t show up in the web panel and received a note back saying…

"Hello,
I’m sorry for the troubles, I went ahead and added your domain
registration to your account. It seems as though you registered the
domain in our old system and it did not transfer properly to the new one.
You can now modify it via our web panel:

https://panel.dreamhost.com/index.cgi?tree=domain.registration&

If you still need the call back please let us know. I’m sorry you did not
like our service.

Thanks!
----"

So it seems that my domain registration was never properly completed on yourside of the process.

Finally, you have no authorization to transfer my registration w/o any
notification.

[quote]We are no longer reselling domains for OpenSRS anymore, so we
needed to transfer all of the domains we have through OpenSRS over to us.
We’re doing this ‘behind the scenes’ to avoid confusion with our
customers, but there are some cases (such as this one) where it can cause
problems. Since it’s already pending transfer from OpenSRS to us it can’t
be transferred again. I’ve forwarded this message to our registration
expert though, hopefully he’ll be able to give you more information and a
suitable resolution to this. He should be in contact with you shortly.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

[/quote]

This answer makes only partial sense, if you are transferring all domains now, why did one of my domains work and not the other? In any case, all of this seems tantamount to taking my site and domain hostage - which is just bad business. I want someone to call me (???-???), I want to be done with all of this in one pass. I asked ---- on the phone yesterday if there would be any problems with transferring my domain and he said no.

Sincerely,

Reply written by danwy (Mar 23rd, 2005 - 17:51:47 / #4243460)
Re: Due: $14.95 Thank you very much for your recent email inqu

Hello,

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, you wrote:

[quote]Ok, I transferred my registration to you a year ago and I did notify you
that the transfer was complete! And it was a free procedure at that time. I
have no idea what your new procedures/policies are now. But I do not feel
that I should have to pay for DH’s internal errors. Of course, I 'd probably
pay you willing if you would just let go of my domain immediately.

By the by, just yesterday I wrote to say that my domain registration didn’t
show up in the web panel and received a note back saying…

[/quote]

Ah, ok. I’ve gone ahead and cancelled that registration charge out. It
looks like — added it as a paying domain instead of your free one.
You won’t have to pay for that. Our registration expert will still be in
contact with you regarding the transfer of the registration.

Thanks!
Dan

I AM STILLING WAITING AND TRYING TO LEAVE, I’m beginning to miss phones and hold musak. When your whole account is awry, it’s tough for the best tech/customer rep to fix it in a series of email logs. Hopefully the DH gods will have mercy upon me and call me even though alreadyI used my one jailhouse callback for this set of 30 days.

*it should be noted that I know I promised never again to clog up the support cue if my domain would show up in the registration panel, but I guess I spoke too soon.

Stunned Silence.

-Jason

Dreamhost Hosting - Last one out, turn off the lights. Alternative.

This kind of stuff is why you keep domains separate from your hosting company… and make sure you’re the contact for the domain.

In our defense, I just wanted to say we honestly have no malicious intent here, just possibly incompetence!

We really have no desire to “hijack” domains or make it hard for people to transfer domains away from us. Really, we lose money on domain registrations (they’re free with every plan) and are not enamored with domain registration at all. We pretty much have to offer it as a webhost though! For a long time our system has been pretty hacked together, as we were a reseller for tucows and others.

We finally got ICANN accredited a few years ago and have been slowly migrating everything over to that system. Just this week we’re doing the big final push of about 9,000 domains from Tucows to our new system. This process is not something support is really familiar with, since it’s a one-time thing and pretty technical and back-endy, which is why they’ve been confused by the whole thing!

It should all be behind us soon though, and I’ll look into your specific domain and let you know the status tomorrow, and hopefully be able to offer you some kind of meaningful compensation!

josh!

I’d say this is just a random convergence of bad luck. Not really incompetence. Not beyond industry standard anyway. When I say that this is exactly the kind of stuff why it’s good to keep domains and webhosting separate it’s because these kinds of unforeseen complications will happen from time to time, and they’re not necessarily anyone’s fault.

Nevertheless, I will be breaking out the popcorn and see how this one plays itself out.

My experience is along the lines of the
"DreamHost Hijacks Domain names"
line of thinking.

They currently have my domain tied up and refuse to contact me except to mail rude letters telling me to go somewhere else.

But they will not ( or, maliciousness aside they are incapable of releasing my domain. This would indicate ineptitude rather than maliciouness. . . either way).

I H A T E DreamHost ! Terrible experiences with these nit-wits.
I seriously beleive that they couldn’t find their way through the internet with a seeing-eye dog.

Word of advice based upon experience:

GO WITH ANYONE but DREAMHOST ! !

Don’t make my mistake.
Go with someone else from the get go, and forget about trying to untangle yourself from their unqualified attempts at web business.

That sounds weird… they’ve been slow as molasses to act on things, they’ve sent canned messages pertaining to a different problem from what I asked, and all sorts of other stuff, but one thing they always, invariably, have been is professional in their corresponance with us.

Anyway, are you the administrative contact for your domain and has your domain been registered at Dreamhost for over two months? You should be able to begin the transfer proceedings yourself at the gaining registrar, and what with the new ICANN rules your transfer goes through automagic unless DH specifically denies the transfer. In that case you should be able to begin dispute proceedings with ICANN.

Keywords here: administrative contact, over two months.