Cause of mail loss over last five days

People may be interested to know of the cause of mail loss here since DH’s Mail > Addresses update last week: the update changed my Addresses settings to “catchall forwards to mailbox forwards to external address”, a path on which the DH system just silently fails.

I’m hope Development will fix this but meanwhile the workaround is to adjust the settings to eliminate double forwarding.

It is not actually very desirable to setup a catch all address due to the mountains of spam you are going to get…

In fact DH actually recommend that you do not have a catch all address and instead set it to blackhole (trash)

It would be my suggestion that you instead setup the correct email addresses and point them to your domain mailbox (or external address) if you only want one physical pop mailbox and avoid using the catch all functionality.

As you correctly pointed out this is a bug, but I think you will find the majority of DH customers have already set the catch all addresses to trash.

[quote]It is not actually very desirable to setup a catch all address due to the mountains of spam you are going to get…

In fact DH actually recommend that you do not have a catch all address and instead set it to blackhole (trash)[/quote]
Yes, hindsight is 20/20. For those of us who starting using catchalls years ago, it doesn’t help us much now. I give example.com@myexample.com email addresses out to every site for which I have to provide a valid email address. If I get spam off one of them, that’s $500/email here in WA.

now, however, I have begun migrating to example.com+spam@myexample.com as a pseudo catchall.

[quote]It is not actually very desirable to setup a catch all address due to the mountains of spam you are
going to get…

[/quote]

No so, in this particular case. And anyway the fault is AFAIK not specific to the catch-all address.

[quote]It would be my suggestion that you instead setup the correct email addresses and point them to your
domain mailbox (or external address)

[/quote]

Thanks, but that is unworkable because the set of ‘correct’ addresses is unknown to me.

i’m also having lots of trouble with the email, with all the forwarding going to an address i do not use, i had to change them all and after i changed them, i saw mailboxes that were being used and so i deleted those.

now none of my email at dreamhost works. i submitted a form to them last nite and this morning [telling them to change to my yahoo email] so i can read their reply.

i really dont understand changing the entire mail system in the control panel.

[quote]now none of my email at dreamhost works. i submitted a form to them last nite and this morning
[telling them to change to my yahoo email] so i can read their reply.

[/quote]

I found that a single address set up after the Big Change, on a fresh sub-domain, works fine.