Catch all address spam

I set up a catch all address for one of my domains and its getting very heavily pounded in the last 2 days with “bounces”. They appear to be responses from various other mail servers that are refusing/can’t deliver messages FROM various random addresses at my domain to lots of random addresses. Is my domain being used to spam? How do I stop this?

It is possible, but unlikely. It is common for spammers to use ‘spoofed’ return addresses on their spam, using domains that they have harvested from the Internet.

My guess is that your domain has been used in this fashion and you are reaping the end result of this.

As for catch-all addresses; Unless you have a good reason for having one active, they are generally a bad idea.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

Thanks mark, I’ll disable the catchall and resort to massive junk mail filtering for all the bounces :frowning:

No problem, glad I could be of some assistance.

Spammers really are a major pain in the proverbial :frowning:

The situation seems to be getting worse by the day, despite efforts by various authorities. It seems that as soon as one lot of low-lifes are put out of business, a new bunch take their place.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )