Cant SSH into instance created with existing volume

dreamcompute

I’ve launched a DreamCompute instance using an existing volume, and it won’t let me SSH into the instance after launching.

I clicked the “Delete Instance” button on the previous instance that created the volume.

I’ll try doing “Shut Off Instance” before deleting the instance and see if that works.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

edit: I’m using the Debian 8 image.

Did you add a SSH key to the VM? If you get a password prompt for user debian that’s what’s missing. Destroy the instance and try again, this time remember to add an SSH key.

If that’s not it, what error do you get?

Yes, I have a SSH key added to the VM.

Running ssh debian@<ip-addr> hanged and then timed out.

It has to do with using an existing volume instead of creating a new one.

Looks like the VM doesn’t get an IP address. Using a volume by itself shouldn’t an the issue, unless you’re booting the instance from a volume that was modified or it’s a snapshot gone bad or something like that.

What’s in the instance log? How did you get that volume you’re booting from?

According to Dreamhost support, it’s because the IP address is hard-coded into the volume if you launch an instance with the image on a volume. I guess I’ll switch to something like Terraform instead of trying to use a volume, which makes more sense anyway.

That makes sense. If your purpose is to create identical machines, and you don’t mind the time to boot and configure them, Terraform or Ansible or any other similar tool will do the trick.

You could also upload your own custom image but that’s a whole different beast to tame.

@smaffulli I’m curious about the “custom image” you mention. Is there a guide for that? I’m not digging the 6-9 minutes of bootstrapping via Terraform whenever I need to spin up a server.

There is some documentation but it’s not specifically targeted at DreamCompute. The base that I would start from is OpenStack upstream create an image guide. From a first glance at the examples they provide, the main difference is that DreamCompute only accept images in RAW format, not qcow2. But except from that, it should be the same.

If you want to go that route, I’d suggest you to take notes as you go and write a tutorial to pubhish on #howto (and DreamHost can give you a juicy discount on your cloud monthly expense.)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.