Can't serve first test pages?

I have a few domains here at Dreamhost, and have created test index.html files. But they won’t serve.

When I hit the domain URL in my browser, I get a line in my error log:

[Sat Nov 11 06:47:41 2006] [crit] [client 146.115.40.138] (13)Permission denied: /home/nedbat/.htaccess pcfg_openfile: unable to check htaccess file, ensure it is readable

When I saw this message, I created an empty .htaccess in my home directory. Its permissions are -rw-r–r--, but I still get the same error in the error.log file.

I wouldn’t have expected to need an .htaccess at that level, or I would have expected it to be created for me.

What needs to go into that file? Or is there some other problem?

You do not normally need to create a .htaccess file in your home directory. The usual procedure is to create .htaccess files within your domain directories as required.

Have these domains worked previously? or is this a new account?

If the latter, it is possible something didn’t quite go right during the account creation and your best option would be to contact support detailing the problem.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost hosting using promo code [color=#CC0000]SAVEMONEY[/color] ( Click for promo code details )

I don’t know why you get that error message, but you don’t need a .htaccess file.