Can't see 'run PHP as CGI' option

Hello,

Under the ‘manage’ tab of the domain control, I have several domains. Some of those domains, when I click on ‘edit’, offer me the option of running PHP as CGI. Some don’t. All of these domains are fully hosted.

Does anyone know why this option isn’t available?

I am looking to turn off CGI because the application I’d like to use does not run in CGI mode.

Thanks.

I am very curious about this as well. I have two sites that MUST run this way, here is the reply I got:

I have to update the Wiki on that - we disabled the use of turning off
PHP as CGI as this was becoming an issue since when you turn it off, your
applications run under Apache’s memory space, which then makes it hard
for us to determine who is using resources.

[quote]I have to update the Wiki on that - we disabled the use of turning off
PHP as CGI as this was becoming an issue since when you turn it off, your
applications run under Apache’s memory space, which then makes it hard
for us to determine who is using resources.[/quote]
No information on why some domains still have the option, and some don’t? I confirm seeing the same, btw.

So it’s not functionally better or worse, not a security issue, doesn’t actually cause using more resources… it makes it hard for us to determine who…!

This is consistent with a disturbing pattern, imho: Act first; inform and document later. I’m seeing too many of these “they took us down” for resources announcements for DH not to disclose/advertise warnings and limits more than buried in the wiki and forum, or something you find out from support, after it’s too late.

[quote]which then makes it hard for us to determine who is using resources.

[/quote]

What is the DH Mission Statement, anyway? We provide servers, make sure it’s easy for us to track who uses their resources, and make sure nobody uses too much?

Has haste to expand become more important than their stated goal?

It seems you can have your cake (databases, scripts, terabytes of bandwidth and storage), but you can’t eat up those resources too.

When is “eventually?” In Internet time wasn’t that last year?

This is consistent with a disturbing pattern, imho: Act first; inform and document later.

They didn’t seem to have changed any existing domains though, so it really doesn’t break or even affect anything you’ve already got up. My existing mod_php domains still show the old options; PHP-CGI and new domains show the new controls.

Disabling mod_php entirely would be a real problem, as it would surely break a lot of sites. This change, while it probably should have been announced somewhere, really isn’t a big deal, IMO.

Note that you can still run mod_php by using the following in .htaccess. I tested it immediately after noticing that the mod_php option had disappeared and verified that it still works, even on new PHP-CGI domains.

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Pete from DreamHost support has elaborated on DreamHost’s reasons to stop offering PHP as an Apache-module in my blog.

Unofficial DreamHost Blog
Unofficial DreamHost Knowledge Base

[quote]Note that you can still run mod_php by using the following in .htaccess. I tested it immediately after noticing that the mod_php option had disappeared and verified that it still works, even on new PHP-CGI domains.

Note that doing so will run PHP4 and not PHP5. I tried

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .phpbut that did not work.

If anyone has figured how to use PHP5 and also

php_value auto_prepend_fileplease let me know.

secondstream: Are you sure that PHP 5 is installed as an Apache module and not only PHP 4?

PHP 5 and mod_php are mutually exclusive, because mod_php5 is not installed. If you need PHP run as an Apache module, you have to live with PHP 4. If you need PHP 5, you have to live with CGI.

It’s generally a good idea to start a new thread for stuff like this instead of resurrecting one that’s seven months old for a simple question.

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.