Can't reach MySQL db from Dreamweaver

When I try to connect to my database on DreamHost using Dreamweaver, I get an error that says “An unidentified error has occurred.”.

On my local XP (SP2) machine I have dreamweaver 6.1, MySQL server 5.0, Putty .058, And Navicat (MySQL Gui) 7.2.9. I am running ZoneAlarm antivirus (but disabling it didn’t make any difference), and Webroot SpySweeper.

I can successfully connect to that database from my PC using Navicat using SSH, so I know the correct pieces and configuration and connections should be in place.

I barely know what I am doing here, and couldn’t guess whether the problem is pilot error, a problem on the DreamHost side or a problem on my PC. The smart money is on pilot error.

I have given the userid full “%” permission to the db.

I have Googled, looked through the DH wiki, worked with the dreamweaver knowledge base, and nothing I try works.

I reported it to DH support, and they directed me here.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Steve Jones

Don’t you just love helpful error messages like that? :open_mouth: Steve, I wouldn’t know where to start from such a message. It seems to me that you have done the right tests - if you can connect successfully from your computer to the DH based database using Navicat, I can’t imagine there is anything not working correctly on the Dreamhost side, or that your basic settings are incorrect in anyway.

That said, there may well be some Dreamweaver related quirk involved; unfortunately I don’t use Dreamweaver enough to know what to look for. Hopefully, someone here will have seen that error before and propose a good solution for you.

–rlparker

okay, lets recheck the basics:
set permition on DH panel for your IP. check it at www.dnsstuff.com
see the correct IP for your mysql database. it also can be reached by url, something like mysql.YOURDOMAIN.com.
see if u have the correct username and password to access the mysql db, by using DH phpmyadmin.
on Dreamweaver, check if it has DH Mysql IP (or url) and not something like localhost, or YOURDOMAIN.com.

BUGabundo :o)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans

No problem rechecking the basics…

[quote]set permition on DH panel for your IP. check it at www.dnsstuff.com

[/quote]

It already was. I have it set thusly:

%.dreamhost.com
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my ip, as confirmed on dnstuff, and on the panel)
xxx.xxx.xxx.% (my IP again, with the last number set to %)
% (plain old %, should catch everything. Will delete once this works)

[quote]see the correct IP for your mysql database. it also can be reached by url, something like mysql.YOURDOMAIN.com.

[/quote]

I am reaching it by mysql.mydomain.com… the same way I am reaching it with Navicat

[quote]see if u have the correct username and password to access the mysql db, by using DH phpmyadmin.

[/quote]

Confirmed.

[quote]on Dreamweaver, check if it has DH Mysql IP (or url) and not something like localhost, or YOURDOMAIN.com.

[/quote]

Confirmed, it has mysql.mydomain.com

As soon as I hit test, I get the “An unidentified error has occurred” error window.

Using the same url, userid & pw, I connect immediately using Navicat.

I’m kind of mystified.

Guess that now, only Dreamweaver forum support could help u.
Its not a DH thing.
Good luck with that, and post back the results

BUGabundo :o)
http://BrinKadeiraS.BUGabundo.net
promo here
50$ discount with promo code “BUG50” on ALL plans