Can't login into control panel

Is it just me ?

Cordially,
Koros

No I can’t either, however because I am at work and therefore I can’t be distracted setting things up for my site. its a good thing for me.

It was saying previously that it was going through maintenance, now it just refuses my connection.

I had a little outage on my site today, hosted on sake don’t now if they are related.

Nope - I can’t either. My webmail is also down.

Same here. I wish that they could’ve at least made an announcement on their main page. This isn’t funny. I couldn’t do anything right now. I’m practically paralyzed.

Same here. No webmail, no control panel. I couldn’t get into the Knowlege Base just now, either.

Yup, same. My webmail was up briefly this morning (around 11:00 ET), but it’s back down.

I got SQL errors when trying to log into webmail last night around 1 AM PST, if that helps. Now I’m not able to connect to webmail or panel.dreamhost.com.

More suckiness.

-Gabe

as if ya needed any more confirmation, webmail and the web panel are down for me as well.

Can we at least know WHAT is going on, and how much time it will take !!

Koros

Same here - I haven’t been able to log into webmail or my panel since last night, and I’ve only now been able to log into this forum. I’ve been with Dreamhost for some time, but it is really frustrating when something obviously major happens and there is no response from them.

UGH!

I’m also down and out on webmail and panel. Last night in the wee hours I was having a lot of trouble logging into webmail - this is the error message that kept getting spit out:

[quote]Warning: Can’t create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/ndn/web/squirrelmail-1.4.1/plugins/dreamhost_virtualhosts/setup.php on line 87

Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Can’t create a new thread (errno 11). If you are not out of available memory, you can consult the manual for a possible OS-dependent bug in /usr/local/ndn/web/squirrelmail-1.4.1/plugins/dreamhost_virtualhosts/setup.php on line 87
1049: Unknown database ‘dreamhost’
[/quote]
This would come up after the webmail login screen. I’d hit refresh a couple times and then my account would be there, but was painfully slow (it took almost 10 minutes to attach a 600k file). I know the mail went out because I BCC’d it to another account.

I don’t know a lot about MySQL, but the fact that ‘dreamhost’ is an unknown database sounds pretty bad.

So now I’m getting the following message when trying to log into my web panel:

Temporarily Unavailable
The web panel is temporarily unavailable while we perform maintenance on our database.

[Sources: dreamhost]

Same here, webmail as well as control panel are down. Might have been that little mySQL update they did a while back that’s causing all this havoc. Discussion list server has been erratic at best, I’ve been experiencing 30 to 60 minute delays when using mailman. Website response time is lagging too. All that aside, regular POP3 mail is working flawlessly! See, there is some good news!

DH is the best!

Is there another way to contact support (other than the form in the cpanel)? It would be nice to get some sort of message letting us know they are aware of an issue and info on when things will be back up (if they know).

I guess you can contact Jeff:

jeff@dreamhost.com

though I believe there is no direct way to reach support, only via the web control panel.

Gracias!

Here’s the latest message:
Due to technical problems, the following DreamHost services will be unavailable on March 11th, 2004

• Customer Account Control Panel
  • Domain Registrations (including .com, .net, .org, and .la)
  • New Account Signups
  • Other centralized services

We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your understanding.

I still can’t get into webmail, so I guess that counts for “other centralized services.”

I just moved all my sites to DreamHost this week – including my business sites. Now I’m stuck with no email, web or otherwise. Having to go for more than 16 hours without even knowing that anyone in tech support is aware of the problem, much less being able to actually contact them, is infuriating.

Does this sort of thing happen often around here?

I’m sorta surprised nobody’s replied to this thread yet with what’s going on!

Well, we’re still not sure why, but all of the sudden last night our main DreamHost db (which was somewhat recently upgraded to mysql 4.0) started freaking out whenever it reached 500 connections. And by freaking out, I mean not working at all and not able to be stopped. And rebooting the machine just means a few HOURS waiting for all the table checks to complete… plus the same thing keeps happening.

When the dreamhost db is down, the web panel is down, signups are down, and webmail is down (though customer sites and regular email access should be unaffected).

After trying a bunch of stuff (all sorts of configuration options were tweaked, etc…) we’re now almost done downgrading the server back to mysql 3.23. This is super sucky, and we’re sorry it’s taken so so long! We can’t even make a regular announcement-type announcement because that uses the dreamhost db! :frowning:

Somebody should have put an explanation up on the generic “performing maintenance” page though. Our apologies for that, we’ve just been all busy half-way panicing through the db troubles.

josh!

Yikes on all that stuff…

I appreciate Josh putting up an explanation of what’s going on… I look forward to some more follow-up to find out what exactly the problem is.

At least I can get into my webmail now.