Can't login as root user

I have a shared hosting account and using SSH I can’t login as the root user.

a) should I be able to?

b) what could be the reason I can’t?

I’m using the password given to me by Dreamhost at signup.,

a) No you will not be able to login to the server as the “root” user.

b) If you were allowed to log in as root, you could manipulate other users’ files. The server you are on is shared and, as such, each user may only manipulate their own files (and, in some cases, files within their group if those files have appropriate permissions settings)

The user/pass word you are provided allows you to login to FTP, and if you have identified that user as a “shell” user you may ssh to the command line, where you will be able to manage files that you own in your user space, but you do not have root privileges.

If you are trying to use ssh to log into the shell, make sure the user that you are trying to login as is a “shell enabled” user. By default, the users that DH establishes for you at sign up time are not authorized shell access, they are only FTP users. You can make those users “shell enabled” from with the control panel:

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Enabling_Shell_Access

–rlparker

Thanks.

I figured that but I recalled being able to su to root on another DH account I worked on. And I’m positive it was a shared server. Maybe my memory is playing tricks.

Perhaps users on the PS servers do get root access, but you’ll never get that on a standard shared server.

-Scott

I don’t have root on my PS server either. It’s all managed hosting here which basically means that Dreamhost reserves root for maintaining the basic services.

It would be hard to guarantee and support the basic services they provide without maintaining control over those basic services. Maybe on a dedicated server, but I think even in that case, Dreamhost would reserve root for themselves.

Use the [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color] promo code for 3 extra lifetime domains and $50 off
More Dreamhost coupons here!

[quote]I have a shared hosting account and using SSH I can’t login as the root user.

a) should I be able to?

b) what could be the reason I can’t?

I’m using the password given to me by Dreamhost at signup.,[/quote]
If you’re referring to gaining shell access using the “first” username and password you received from Dreamhost then:

a) No, because it’s setup initially as an ftp only account.

b) See (a).

If that’s what you meant, you can give your ‘original’ user shell access by granting the priviledge in Panel > Users > Manage Users

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH