Can't access phpMyAdmin

wordpress

I continue, over an hour after creating the database, trying to connect to phpMyAdmin. It still returns a “Failed to open page” error. Is this a problem on DH’s end? My Wordpress blog set up just fine, so the database is apparently working, but I can’t access phpMyAdmin.

It may be that part of the DreamHost system is on a go slow. There were MySQL problems yesterday (8/7/06 (or 7/8/06 n the US)) which were fixed. I would suggest using the support system and sending a ticket in.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Sorry, I edited my message quite extensively to give more details while you were writing this. Did you read the part about wordpress working? That’s the puzzling part. The database is up, but phpMyAdmin doesn’t exist.

It looks like a system wide failure. I cannot access one of my phpmyadmin accounts either.

Norm

Do these kinds of things happen often? I just bought my DH account a couple hours ago. I don’t remember any outages at my old provider - I just switched here due to the better price/performance. I hope this is an anomaly…

No not often. With so many bits and pieces though something may fail. Especially on a Sunday. Sods Law :slight_smile: .
I have asked of DreamHost Support to give it a good thrashing!

It may just be temporary. Perhaps they are installing an update or someone is using the server power socket to cook breakfast!

Norm

Actually it may be a problem on my end (unrelated to your own problem). My wordpress blog is using a domain name whose DNS I just switched over to DH. For some reason, it was displaying the blog I made with DH for a little while and now it’s displaying the parked page of my old hosting provider!

Very weird. I hope it’s just some glitch in the propagation that will be resolved.

I’ve got the same symptoms. Created a new mqsql database yesterday, and still getting a “server not found” error almost 24 hours later when trying to access through mysql.website.com

I thought I messed something up, but when I tried logging into phpmyadmin for another database I got the same error (but the blog using that database is still running fine, just like yours).

Yet I’m able to access phpmyadmin for two other databases with no errors. I wonder what the problem is, and if it’ll be fixed soon.

Is anyone able to connect yet?

No. Some phpmyadmins are okay but some cannot be found. So I suspect a server may have a problem or a batch of DNS zones have broken.

Norm

I still think my problem may be different. ALL subdomains on my blog except www will take me to the parked page of my old host. So when I go to the subdomain “mysql” to get to my database, the parked page comes up.

Confused. :frowning:

I think there may some DNS issues which are causing that problem and the phpmyadmin problem.

Norm

I have had a reply re my phpmyadmin problem which appears to be a broken phpmyadmin.
A workaround is http://www.example.com/dh_phpmyadmin/mysqlhostname.example.com/ til a repair is made.

Norm

That works good, but apparently from within it I don’t have privileges to do anything. I can’t create, edit, or anything else.

You cannot create a database from there but you should be able to do the usual things.
make sure you use the correct mysql username and password of course.

Norm

Why can’t I create a database? I’m trying to import my old database, and I can only do it from within phpMyAdmin. My login information is all correct. I just can’t make the database. This has been a nightmare :frowning:

Even when phpmyadmin is working correctly you cannot create a database from it. You have to use the ControlPanel|manage mysql to create a new database.
It is the way it is set up in DreamHost.
You can create and edit tables from within phpmyadmin though.

Norm

Okay, I made the database from the control panel and re-exported my old database by selecting the individual tables (not the database as a whole) and it worked. I guess I’m one step closer!

It’s not working for me, and neither is that link above. (http://www.example.com/dh_phpmyadmin/mysqlhostname.example.com/ ) Both of my sites say bad login/password.

For some reason, I can access one of my databases to modify it through blogging software (i.e. I can post a new blog entry), but the other database (also using the same blog setup) gives me a bad password even though I know the password is right. shrug

How long ago did you create the mysql hostnames and databases? Sometimes it can take a while to work although in normal use it is usually straightaway.
Sometimes you can get problems with passwords, under some conditions, if it contains % (per cent) followed by a number because the % (per cent) and number get re-read as another character.

Norm