Can't Access My Host Root

Hello,

I’m new to DreamHost and WordPress and I’m having trouble accessing my host’s root via ftp, etc.; especially I need to get the .htaccess file. According to my account settings I do have “Shell account - allows SFTP/FTP plus ssh access” set. I do not have “Disallow FTP?” set nor the “Enhanced Security” setting.

I have successfully been able to ftp in using Telnet, SSH-Putty, FileZilla as well as the DreamHost webFTP login. However, in all cases I cannot find/access my website’s actual root folder. The only “root” I have available only seems to have a basic set of logs and email directories. In particular, the only folders in my “root” are “logs”, “Maildir” and about a half-dozen files including “.alias”, “.htaccess.save”, etc.

No matter what I have tried I cannot find the El Dorado of the actual website root, where I can access the wp-admin, wp-content, etc.

What am I doing wrong? What does it mean in the account section to “Disallow FTP” and use “Enhanced Security”.

Thanks.

Two possibilities. Either you chose “Easy Mode” install of WordPress, or you are logging in as a different user than the one assigned to the domain/subdomain.

“One-click Easy Mode” is hosted on different servers operated solely by DreamHost, thus you will not have S/FTP or shell access.

Less likely is that you installed WordPress to a subdomain hosted by User A but trying to login as User B.

FTP is a legacy protocol that is not secure - so disallowing it to be used is strongly recommended.

See also Enhanced User Security

Atropos7,

Thanks for the response. I have tried to log in with what I believe is the original “admin” account. One thing I noticed is that the root directory for both our accounts is “home[account login name]”. I tried to make a new account and try to assign it’s home directory to the app root, but it automatically defaulted to the same pattern.

If “Easy Mode” was the install mode, is there a way around this to reach the root? Is there any other way to gain access to the .htaccess file?

Thanks.

In Easy mode, you don’t have access to the .htaccess file. You can’t even log into the machines that host Easy Installs.

If you have paid for hosting, I strongly recommend avoiding Easy Mode. With WordPress, it already has a built-in update mechanism, so it’s almost just as “Easy.”