Cannot install Thunderbird

I get as far as #7 here and then I get the error mentioned right below that, which is not resolved by doing what is said.

The dialog boxes I’m getting are not exactly the ones pictured there, but it looks close enough.

I’m also having some trouble with my previously working Thunderbird connection that has now stopped working. Server timeouts. Not sure what the deal is yet…I can see my mail on the webmail client…just can’t seem to get a connection to the mail server on my PC for the last couple of days. Weird.

Sorry…my issue has something to do with my Belkin router…probably not the same issue you are having. In my case, bypassing the router allows me to connect to the imap server…going through the router does not.

Update: I’m fixed - this bizarreness did the trick: http://superuser.com/a/642955/421533

Anyway…perhaps helpful to you…I’ve never managed to get the “Encrypted password” setting to work. Try setting it to “Normal Password”.

Thanks, but I can’t even get to the point where I have that choice.

Yea, Thunderbird can be a tough bird some times.

Just enter the name, email address, and password on the first “create email account” screen. Check the box to save the password and click on the OK button.

The system will then try various things to get to the email address and present you with a screen with the probed values.

Click on OK to create the account. Just get the account created.

Once the account is created then you can go back to the account settings and correct the entries. There is a problem that if you fiddle with the entries before you create the account, the “OK” button to create the account will not be enabled until it is satisfied that the values are correct. Until the account is created, you can’t change it. So, just get the account created and then correct it.

Thanks, but there is no “OK” button. My only choices are “Get a new account” “Re-test” or “Cancel”

Just to be certain, we are talking about version 31.5.0 of Thunderbird. Correct? If not, then you have an old copy as of today and should upgrade it. These instructions are for the Windows implementation of Thunderbird. If you have a Macintosh, the configuration dialogs may be different. (Linux is mentioned after all of the Windows instructions but the same thing applies to Linux.)

The first dialog that comes up for adding a new account says “Mail Account Setup” in the title. There are four fields, “Your name”, “Email address”, “Password” and a “remember password checkbox”. Check the checkbox and fill in ote htoer fields. Don’t forget to include the domain name in the “email address” field. Click on the button marked “Continue”.

The Next dialog says “Configuration found by trying common server names”. It has a radio button for IMAP or POP3. Choose IMAP. It shows the incoming and outgoing mail information. Mine says “IMAP, mail.xxxxx, STARTTLS”. We added a “smtp” to the DNS so it says that for the outgoing connection. If you didn’t then it would still say “mail.xxxxx”

It will strip the domain name from the username field. This won’t work, but there is a buttons marked “Get a new account”, “Manual config”, “Done”, and “Cancel”. Make sure that the connection is still IMAP and choose “Manual config”.

The next screen shows items for the incoming and outgoing mail. Set the following:

Incoming: protocol=IMAP, server hostname=mail.xxxxx, Port=993, SSL=SSL/TLS, Authentication=Normal Password

Outgoing: protocol=SMTP, server hostname=smtp.xxxxx, Port=465, SSL=SSL/TLS, Authentication=Normal Password (Again, we put “smtp” into the DNS. Use “mail” if you don’t.)

Username: xxxx@yourdomainname <<< DON’T FORGET TO CHANGE THIS. It will change both incoming and outgoing names if you just change the incoming field.

There are buttons for “Get a new account”, “Advanced config”, “Re-test”, “Done”, and “Cancel”. Choose “Done”. This will just create the account. Once the account is created, you can go into it and change the parameters for the connection. But, the “biggies” (server name, user name, password, port number, protocol) have been specified.

I checked with my copy of Ubuntu Linux 14.10. (Thunderbird is not just for Ubuntu so the platform is of little importance. RedHat and Ubuntu and Debian all use the same program, Thunderbird.)

The dialogs are slightly different in that the protocol is not specified on the first dialog but the second under the incoming section. Other than that, the buttons and the dialogs are the same. The input fields are the same.

I have not checked with the Macintosh laptop, but I typically use Apple’s mail package and not thunderbird there.

Do not choose retest under any circumstances. This will only complicate your life as the retesting won’t work and you will need to correct the fields but you will only have the option to re-test again. Just choose manual configuration and enter the values. Then click Done, not re-test.

In either case, you may get a warning that the certificate for the domain does not match the owner. You will be asked if you wish to accept this. Accept it and mark it “accept always”. This only means that “mail.xxxxx” is using SSL and the certificate is not issued to you but DreamHost. You can buy your own certificate but it is probably not worth the expense to avoid the warning dialog. Just use Dreamhost’s certificate and accept the override.

Thank you for your help. I guess my downfall was using the “re-test” button which maybe should be removed or renamed if it is for some function that is not related to setting up the account.

Everything is mostly working now, but there are some mysterious problems. My messages are retrieved for me without me asking for them, which I really don’t like. I have unchecked all the boxes I can find to automatically download messages, but it still happens.

Also, the old (downloaded) messages are not deleted from the server. There used to be a option to do that, but I can’t find it anymore. I don’t understand the “synchronize” and “delete” options. Maybe these have something to do with the other things I just mentioned, but it isn’t obvious to me.

FYI: your instructions were not quite a description of what happened to me.
I never saw "The Next dialog says “Configuration found by trying common server names”. It has a radio button for IMAP or POP3. Choose IMAP."etc.
Instead, it went directly to the next dialog you describe, with the error message "Thunderbird failed to find the settings for your email account…"
The buttons I saw were a different collection from the ones you describe.

Despite all that, once I pressed “Done” instead of “Retest” it immediately opened my server and started downloading messages. All of this was not self-evident, so I really appreciate your help.

Yea, well, “Re-Test” serves its purpose. It is just not the purpose that you want in this instance. Keep the mouse off that button. It will only mess things up in instances such as this.

There is no real way of saying “I don’t want to download the messages”. If you use IMAP, they are not really downloaded. POP downloads them. IMAP simply lists them and the messages are still kept on the mail server.

You did use IMAP didn’t you? I tried to steer you in that direction. Most people use IMAP rather than the old “Post Office Protocol” (POP) because it works across devices. You can have your mail accessed from your cell phone, home computer, office computer, etc. all at the same time. A change made to your mail spool in one is reflected in all of the others. IMAP is a better way to deal with Email than POP.

Still, if you never want to see the list then you can take Thunderbird offline. That will prevent the access to the mail servers while it is offline. But, there is no “manual download” for IMAP. It does not make sense because there is no “download” of the messages.

Of course, the down side is that IMAP must be connected to access the mail. You can’t run it off-line without having a copy of the message downloaded. Still, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages with IMAP vs. POP.

(There is a way to use POP and still access it from multiple devices. However, it is somewhat like a Rube Goldberg machine in that you tell POP to not delete the message after it has been downloaded.)

Did you forget to “empty the trash”? It is located in the File menu. IMAP won’t really delete the message until you do that. It will just move them to the trash folder. Make sure that you set the root directory for IMAP to be “INBOX” rather than just the default “/” if you want the trash folders to be under the mail account and not under “INBOX”.

By the way, these questions are not specific to Dreamhost. You may be better served by asking the Thunderbird people about their program on their site. You are connected to DreamHost and that is about all that I can offer you at this time.

OK. It varies depending upon the version that was installed and if you are creating the account the first time or, in my case, created it, deleted it, and then re-created it so that I could get the dialog sequence correct and make sure that what I was telling you was correct.

The bottom line however is that you got the account created. That is all that mattered in the long run, “getting the job done by whatever it took”.

You’re welcome.