"Cannot find rails 2.1.0"

hi folks,

in an effort to better understand the workings of, well… everything I’ve been trying to get ruby 1.8.6 going with rubygems 1.1.1 and rails 2.1.0.

First and foremost I noticed that rails 2.1.0 does not create .htaccess, so I used the one that 2.0.2 made. Not sure if that’s bad.

What I’ve set up in my .bashrc :

export PATH="$HOME/bin:$HOME/.gems/bin:${PATH}“
export RUBYLIB=”$HOME/lib:$RUBYLIB"
export GEM_HOME="$HOME/.gems"
export GEM_PATH="$HOME/lib/ruby/gems/1.8:$GEM_HOME"

Readline was installed --prefix=$HOME, ruby was installed --prefix=$HOME --with-readline-dir=$HOME. Install went good. which ruby reports the one in home/bin and ruby -v is 1.8.6

rubygems was installed using ruby setup.rb --prefix=$HOME

once again which gem is the one in home/bin and gem-v is 1.1.1

I then used a local copy of all the gems required for rails (as well as fcgi and mysql, not sure if I need those?) and did gem install -l rails-2.1.0.gem (for example)

rails -v is 2.1.0 and which rails is the one in the appropriate spot (/home/myname/.gems/bin/rails).

In my error.log of my server dispatch.cgi is saying that the rails gem could not be found.

I also edited the shebang lines of my dispatch.cgi (and dispatch.fcgi when I switched .htaccess over - as well as dispatch.rb just for the sake of it) to !/home/myname/bin/ruby

Now that I have switched to fcgi I am getting two errors per each connection attempt to anything other than index.html (anything that sould invoke rails?) which are:

FastCGI: comm with (dynamic) server [my url] aborted: (first read) idle timeout (60 sec)
FastCGI: incomplete headers (0 bytes) received from server [my url]

Can anyone help shed some light on what I’ve done wrong or what I should be looking for?