Cannot connect to incoming (POP3) email server

Calling all brainiacs!

I’m dealing with a conundrum. I have recently transferred several of my business domains to DH because of the outstanding service and performance i had using DH for one of my wife’s sites. My first site that i hosted with DH went extraordinarily well! The entire site uploaded and performed perfectly. All e-mail services were flawless… UNTIL…

I transferred a second site (a client of mine) to my account. Site uploaded beautifully and ran great. Created a few forwarding e-mail accounts that worked great and two server-based e-mails for the site. I went to my client’s office and tried to set up Outlook for the server-based e-mails after having NO problems with my first site creation. (My client needs hand-holding when dealing with ALL things computer) I kept getting an error from Outlook Saying "Task ‘mail.mydomain.com - Receiving’ reported error (0x80042108) : ‘Outlook cannot connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).’ FRUSTRATION… logged on to the panel, triple checked all settings, validated that i was inputing all information into Outlook correctly. Same problem over and over. I appologized profusely to my client and showed them how to use the webmail as a workaround until i fix this.

This fiasco happened yesterday (Thursday 11/15). I come in to my office this cold crisp Friday morning to find that MY e-mail is now giving me the SAME error message. I’ve searched the support forums and no one has posted a similar issue.

Anyone out there have any ideas on how i can:

1. fix whatever ails me as I need access to my e-mails.
  2. be able to help save some face with my client.

Has anyone ever had temporary (POP3) email outages? Do they “self-correct”?

Thanks for any help,

CONFUSED

Dreamhost ROCKS!

Make sure that you have “My server requires authentication” checked in the Outgoing Mail Server section of the “servers” tab. I sometimes get that error if it is unchecked, even though it is apparently unrelated. It is more likely to be a problem at the DreamHost end though.

si-blog
Max discount on any plan with promocode SCJESSEYTOTAL

Have you tried to contact support through your panel ?

And try to check Dreamhost Status’s website for the latest information. You can check at the site if your server is the one getting trouble. And you can check all your servers’ name in your panel’s “Account Status” tab.

Hope this helps !

Supernova

Need promo code? Use [color=#00CC00]Supernova[/color] (you get $97 off on yearly plans): SIGN UP NOW !

Check out instructions on how to apply the code !

It’s a miracle!

I just had the monolithic idea of gasp restarting my computer and thanks to the magic gnomes inside of Microsoft operating systems… Outlook works fine! Now I wonder if my clients computer just needs a reboot. God I feel like a noob.

Thanks for the replies… and may the Microsoft Gnomes stay away for a while.

RELEAVED

Dreamhost ROCKS!

That’s the horror or Windows, right? With open source, experts can have a much better understanding of how things work and can figure out problems. When everything is just a black box and only a select few have access to the arcane knowledge, even experts are given to feelings of inadequacy and frustration. :slight_smile:

BTW, I spend a large part of my life in the Microsoft world, so I wouldn’t call myself a Linux fanboi (though you should feel free to, I guess)

Free unique IP and $67 off with code [color=#CC0000]LMIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]LM97[/color] for $97 off. Click for other Dreamhost coupons / promo codes