Can VPS be used as a VPN server?

vps

I searched and only found a couple messages from 2012 saying you don’t offer VPN services. Is this still your policy, or has it changed?

I manage a commercial building whose wired Internet service is terrible because Verizon refuses to upgrade their copper phone lines. I’ve worked out a solution using a directional wireless antenna to connect to a hotspot about a mile away (with the hotspot ISP’s permission), but it’s a public hotspot so the wifi transmissions are unencrypted. Most of our tenants are doctors, and both prudence and HIPAA guidelines dictate that their Internet communications should be encrypted. Mostly it will be web traffic, but there will be some other file transfer traffic (e.g. transmitting prescriptions to pharmacies) whose ports I do not know ahead of time. Otherwise I’d just use a SSH proxy to encapsulate web traffic.

Can your VPS service be used as a VPN server? Do you still offer VPN services? Failing that, do you offer any services which would meet my needs? I use Dreamhost as my web and email host, and it would just be easier if my VPN service was also with Dreamhost.

That is correct. We do not currently offer any general-purpose VPN services, nor do we have any current plans to offer one. In the past, we offered a VPN service specifically for the purpose of connecting securely to DreamHost services; however, we discontinued it several years ago, as existing security protocols such as SSH, SFTP, and SSL serve the same purpose, and are available to all customers.

Our VPS and dedicated servers cannot be used to set up VPN endpoints — sorry. They’re not configured to support some of the advanced networking options that are required for this functionality.

Moreover, it’s not clear that such a configuration would be HIPAA compliant anyways. DreamHost is not a HIPAA compliant hosting provider; if you are transmitting personal health information that must be encrypted in transit, it will likely need to not pass through our servers at all. If you’re unsure whether you’re in compliance, I’d highly recommend that you consult with an expert in these matters (which I am not).