Can someone let me know if I'm doing this right?

apps

I’m going to attempt to move my phpBB forum hosting.
I’m pretty nervous…it’s my first time (gasp).

I’ve got some instructions to follow here: http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=212

So let me just see if I have the steps down pat:
I’ve backed up all my folders and files. I did a database backup for the forum (a whopping 21MB unzipped).

Next step: I take everything down, have the hosting delete my .com so I can host it here. Once it’s here I do a one click install of the phpBB software. Then I follow this step: "Before you upload your phpBB files, you’ll have to open the config.php in your favorite text editor, such as NotePad. Open it up, find all of the variable data fields, and change them to the values that apply to your new server. " I don’t understand this…the forum is currently being hosted by another dreamhost user…what exactly will I have to change?

I then dump all my old folders, on top of the empty new ones.

After that’s done, it looks like I have to break up my .sql file into many 1MB bits, and then follow this step: “go into phpMyAdmin (or whatever your SQL management tool is) on your NEW host, and choose to “run a query from a textfile.” Click on “browse” and find the *.sql backup file you’ve backed up.”

Can someone let me know if I’m on the right track? It looks like lots of work, and not easy work either.

For your phpBB forum you will have a MySQL database for example ‘phpBB’. Your config.php will have the settings for the location of the database (hostname) the name of the database (phpBB) the database user (some_user) and the users password (topsecret_password)

With your old site they probably used the hostname ‘localhost’ for the database location but under the DreamHost way of the Jedi you have a Hostname as the hostname. e.g mydatabase.example.com.

So you just need to first set up your database using the DreamHost Panel to create a database. You can re-use the details from your old site phpBB for database name,user and password.

Once the database hostname has propagated (instant to hours!!) you can install your old database either from phpmyadmin (but you will need to chop the database sql file into sub 7MB lumps because of the PHP limit of 7MB. Best call it 5MB.

Or if you are comfortable with accessing your shell with SSH then you could use command line mysql and use:-
mysql -u username -ppassword -h hostname.example.com database_name < bigwhopping.sql

Which should hopefully re-create your old database.

You can than install your phpBB files updating your config.php with the four new items (remember do not use ‘localhost’ anywhere, always use your mysql hostname).

That should be it.

Since phpBB is a DreamHost one click install you could use that and initially set up a database/hostname/user/password layout which is not the same as your old set up. When it has all been installed you can then change your config.php to reflect your bigwhopper database.

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Jesus, maybe I should just pay someone to do this stuff for me.

I think I opt for this one: “Since phpBB is a DreamHost one click install you could use that and initially set up a database/hostname/user/password layout which is not the same as your old set up. When it has all been installed you can then change your config.php to reflect your bigwhopper database.”

and cross my fingers while hoping for the best.

Thanks the the reply, it is apprciated!

To be honest it is not that difficult to do. It is just that to write it down in words turns it into a novel. :slight_smile:

Keep a look out for my latest writings. ‘How to boil an egg.’ Published in eight volumes!

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!