Can someone explain this (starting Disk drops)

Hello Everyone,

can someone explain why there starting diskspace bandwidth ext… is slowly going down. Did I miss some memo or something (Go have a look on the sign up page and look for
starting Disk drops and you will notice you can no longer sign up for a plan that gives you 200gigs of space ext…

What gives…

To understand why this is the case, you need to read Josh’s blog post.

Honestly, I think it’s a silly idea and will do nothing to rebuild DreamHost’s reputation (not that I think it needs rebuilding). As far as I can see, it just causes confusion, but hey, it’s their company. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thankfully, it does not affect sign-ups that use a promo-code, they continue to receive the old disk space / bandwidth quotas.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Ahh Ok That makes sense NOT…

Thank you for the info (Hopefully the give up trying to confuse people and get back to doing what they do best and thats being the number 1 hosting company in the world).

Definitely sounds like a marketing ploy that I am sure is going to backfire.(we can hope not).

It is an odd thing to do. Especially so since the advertising on the website says you get 200GB diskspace and 2TB b/w. It is really going to confuse any potential customer. Perhaps DH are trying to reduce customer numbers after all.

Surely they need a larger customer base before Google will consider buying them? :smiley:

Norm

Opinions are my own views, not DreamHosts’.
I am NOT a DreamHost employee OK!! :@

You act on my advice at your own risk!

Anybody has any idea when is the end of this? Will people still come to DH if the starting disk storage becomes 100GB?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

No problem.

Well, if the move was meant to create some extra publicity, then I am sure it has achieved its aim.

In reality, it doesn’t mean anything. Sure, the initial quota is being reduced daily for new non-promo-code using customers, but I am guessing that the majority of new sign-ups do use a promo-code of some description. Also, once signed-up, the weekly bonuses that are added to the quota will quickly make up for any pre-purchase reduction.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Well, the DreamHost front page was displaying "180GB / 1.8TB’ for the level 1 plan for a few days, so I had assumed that this was to be the new level.

However, I now see that the front page is showing “200GB / 2TB” once again. Maybe that means they are close to abandoning the idea. (fingers crossed :slight_smile: )

Mark

Not yet…

Maybe it’s just that page that’s counting down and everyone’s getting the 200G/2T. If they aren’t that front page is misleading.

Wholly

Maybe someone who has signed-up since the change can drop in and tell us whether they received the full (old) quota or not.

…but it would need to be someone who signed up without using a promo-code and I am guessing that isn’t too common.

Mark

I only know of two of us - but I’ve been here for a while now.

Wholly

I notice that the advertising images still refer to 200GB and 2TB too, so I guess any site using these is also misleading potential customers.

It is surprising that we haven’t seen more queries about the reducing quota in the forum. I know the whole idea confused the hell out of me when I first read it, and I am already a customer. :slight_smile:

Mark