Can i use my own nameservers?

I would like to use my own nameservers, is that possible?

Yes, you can point the domain to any DNS.

To do that, login to DH panel and go to DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains

Select the domain you want to modify and then simply click DNS to change the DNS.

Save $97 with promo code: [color=#CC0000]97YES Sign Up NOW[/color]

Sorry, I forgot to specify that I also want to keep the current registrar instead of transferring my domain to DreamHost.

Yes, this is possible too.

Since you want to keep your domain registration where it is and use you own name servers, the procedure would go something like the following.

1…At your registrar: Configure the domain to use your name servers.
2…At DreamHost: Add the domain to the hosting system and obtain the IP address assigned to it.
3…At your name servers: Add the relevant A-Records pointing the domain at the DreamHost IP address obtained above.

Note: The IP address assigned to your domain by DreamHost is subject to change, so you will need to keep track of this and update the DNS records as required. Although, in reality the IP address will not change too often, so I doubt this will be a large problem.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

It just occurred to me, that many people when they say ‘my own nameservers’, don’t mean they wish to use their own physical name servers somewhere, they just want the name servers to appear as ‘ns1.theirdomain.com’, while still wanting to use the actual DreamHost name servers.

If this is indeed what you meant, then this too is possible and the procedure has been outlined in a few past forum threads.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Could i use CNAME (mysubdomain.dreamhosters.com) instead of A-Record to prevent updating the DNS when the IP address happens to change?

Yes, that should be possible, just add the dreamhosters.com sub-domain to the DreamHost hosting system instead of your actual domain (step 2 above).

Although, as I said above, the IP address assigned to your domain is unlikely to change too often, I haven’t noticed an IP change on any of my domains for about the last 2 years or so, but I haven’t been keeping track too closely. :wink:

Mark

Thats what I been wanting to do for a long time

but dont know how

ps

I looked for the threads but cant find them

How would the CNAME entry method work?

Free unique IP and $67 off with promo code [color=#CC0000]FLENSFREEIP67[/color] or use [color=#CC0000]FLENS97[/color] for $97 off. Click here for more options

The thread below contains information on how to do this.

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=forum_troubleshooting&Number=60706&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1

Mark

The CNAME method should work because the dreamhosters.com sub-domain, where the actual site was located, would have it’s DNS handled by the DreamHost name servers. Obviously, a CNAME would not work if the OP was planning to point it to the actual domain instead of a dreamhosters.com sub-domain.

In short; The (non DreamHost) name servers for the domain would simply have a CNAME DNS record pointing to subdomain.dreamhosters.com

Mark

Maybe if you toy with godaddy’s advanced DNS, but not from the main domain management pane. You’ll get to “create host”

slim.Iamcool.tld
shady.Iamcool.tld

and you’ll be presented with a four field form for octets for each host :frowning:

you’d feed the IPA for your first nameserver to the form for slim, and like to like for shady.

If you create a CNAME record for your second level domain, Iamcool.tld, containing the name of your server you’re doing something else entirely

Always check the validy of changes to your domain with DNSstuff.com or DNSreport.com :wink:

And pay special attention to the “stealthed nameserver” notes!!! There might be some stuff for your server admin to do

NOdaddy.com - the trauma of bad godaddy