Can I use my existing hosting plan for a second domain?

Hi all,

First - apologies if this has been answered already (as I’m sure it must have been asked countless times) - but for the life of me I can’t find an answer to this. I’ve searched these forums, and the Wiki, and google, to no avail.

I have a domain - let’s call it aaa.com - with a hosting plan. I want to register another domain, bbb.com, and I want it to appear as though it’s an entirely separate website. But it will be only a very small website, and it seems a waste of money to buy a whole new hosting plan for it. Do I need to buy an entirely separate hosting plan for it, or can I use my existing hosting plan somehow, to host the files for it? If so, how?

I suspect that the answer is no. But I’ve noticed a “Cloaking” feature which I can see under the “Manage Domains” menu which might allow me to achieve a similar effect - assuming I understand it correctly. So, I plan to do the following - can someone confirm that this would have the desired effect?

[list]
[]I register bbb.com
[
]I go to Manage Domains, click “Edit” under Web Hosting, and go to the Cloaked section
[]Under “Domain to cloak” it says bbb.com
[
]Under “Site to display” I type “aaa.com/example/”, where I have a set up various webpages that link to each other (including an index.php)
[]When someone visits bbb.com, it will say bbb.com in their browser address bar, but they will see the webpage I set up at “aaa.com/example/
[
]Here’s something I’m not sure about at all: if a visitor to bbb.com clicks a link (one which, for example, points to “aaa.com/example/pics/pic.png”), what will they see in their browser address bar? Will it say “bbb.com/pics/pic.png”?
[/list]

Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this all to a newb :slight_smile:

you can fully host as many domains as you want, no need for cloaking or anything…

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Adding_Domains_%26_Sub-Domains

Thank you Madbob! How I missed that page on my initial searches is beyond me, but it looks like that has everything I need.

Cheers :slight_smile: