Can I stream mpeg video?

Hello,

I know qt streaming isn’t available on my current plan, so I’m wondering what streaming options can be used for “My crazy domain insane?” Upgrading my plan isn’t an option at this point, and I only have a few movie clips I need to do. Is mpeg streaming possible, and if so how? Or would I have to use realplayer instead?

Thanks for any info

I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do, but if you just want people to be able to view a movie/sound file as it’s downloading, you can still use QuickTime even without Streming.

If, when creating your QuickTime files, you make sure they include a hint track, then they should play as they download, even over HTTP. It’s not exactly the slickest way to do things, but you can embed a play-as-you-go file in any page simply enough.

If you really do want to do streaming, and not “pseudo-streaming” (my stupid word) via the HTTP protocol, then I don’t think you’ll do any better with MPEG (or Real or Windows Media for that matter) on your DreamHost plan–as far as I can tell, the basic plan includes data transfer via HTTP only, which is going to treat all media files the same. The only difference is what the player does with the incoming data.

“I’m not exactly sure what you’re trying to do, but if you just want people to be able to view a movie/sound file as it’s downloading, you can still use QuickTime even without Streming”

Yes, that’s exactly what I want to do–just give them a way to see the movie as it’s downloading, instead of having to wait for the whole thing before they can play it. What would you suggest is the best way to go about this? Hinted quicktimes as you suggest? If so I guess I’ll look for more info on how to do that.

Thanks for your response,
TQ

hinted Quicktime will work as stated and Windows media will as well.

With WMVs you’d do well to have a ‘hint’ file for those as well, an ASX, that should help pople using non-IE browsers out.

With http streaming you can never tell how an individual’s browser settings and plugins are going to react, that’s seems to be a pretty easy thing to jack up these days with all the media players out there that fight for the file associations.

I currently favor the WMV route with an ASX file, the wm8eutil is free and puts out a great quality file that streams well for broadband, and the usual crap ugly file for dialers =)

[color=#0000CC]jason[/color]