Can i run a game server at DH?

apps

hi

i want to host a MU server at DH

how is it possible???

No, it’s not possible to run a game server at DreamHost.
As per the TOS, persistent processes are not allowed.

If your game server is web-based, meaning it essentially only requires a webserver and possibly a mysql database, then I could definitely see that as being okay - but otherwise no.

Chips N Cheese - Custom PHP installs and the like!

so i wont be possible to run my MU server here??

and how do i do to server run the executables by tthere??

As far as I know… if it is running a persistent process and listen by socket mean from time to time then it is not possible.

Jonathan

Get 200GB[L1 Plan], $50, PLUS 1 additional Free Domain with [color=#CC0000]50AND1DOMAIN[/color] promo code. Sign Up NOW

but what do i need to do to run a .exe process at the server?

You just execute it like any normal *nix binary: ./executablename.exe

But as persistent processes are not allowed, you won’t be able to run it at all - procwatch will just immediately and automagically kill your server every time you start it.

ok then xD

well, actually seeing as this is *nix server you can’t actually run an exe file. *.exe files are windows based files and don’t natively work on *nix computers.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

That’s not true at all. You can run any binary file.
Most often people use Wine to emulate a Windows environment, and as such, exe’s will usually work with no problems.
I’ve encountered a couple programs in fact that are designed to run in both Linux and Windows, as an .exe. Exe is just an extension anyways - it provides no basis for determining whether or not a file will work in a specific OS.

That said, I imagine whatever he’s trying to run wouldn’t work anyways, as he clearly hasn’t done any research on the matter.

I know of wine, but I didn’t mention it because I didn’t consider it “native” support for exe files. It’s also not available by default on DH servers.

I will concede that you’re right, a file named with a .exe extension can be run in *nix. However with the exe extension being the defacto standard for windows programs you’ll be hard pressed to find many programs that will actually do anything when executed from a *nix shell. Even the small program notepad from windows XP returns “-bash: ./notepad.exe: cannot execute binary file”

It’s quite true that *nix systems don’t rely as heavily on extensions as windows does. It’s a easy process to use .sex instead of .php for your web files, but that has nothing to do with the type of coding in that file.

So as a general rule for the OP, if you find a exe file it’s not going to work on your *nix server. When looking for things you can use/run on your DH server you’ll need to find things that are specifically set up to run in a Linux environment.

–Matttail
art.googlies.net - personal website

[quote]
However with the exe extension being the defacto standard for windows programs you’ll be hard pressed to find many programs that will actually do anything when executed from a *nix shell. Even the small program notepad from windows XP returns “-bash: ./notepad.exe: cannot execute binary file”[/quote]
Yup yup, fully agreed there as well. Some programs don’t always work, some do… it’s like playing Russian Roulette sometimes :stuck_out_tongue: