Can I install WHM?

Hello.

If I buy a shared package (1TB), Can I install WHM (Web Host Manager) on my shared package?

In short, no. Do you need a longer, more detailed answer?

What do you need WHM for? Do you want to run a reselling business on top of a Dreamhost shared account?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

Yes! I want it for reselling. Please let me do that.

Ropy,

You can resell if you wish, but you will not be able to install cPanel or WHM on your DreamHost shared server.

1. You can write your own management tools

2. You can use certain other “hosting” pkgs (see cyberscript.net, or any of several others) that you can install.

3. You install other CGI scripts to provide “host” functions (like “filemanagers”, etc.)

That said, in the DreamHost environment, reselling is not an “easy” thing to do, and you are responsible for the activities of all the users under your master account.

This makes “general purpose reselling” very risky for you, as it is highly likely that, should you sell to “just anybody”, one of your “clients” could easily get your own account (and all your other “clients” accounts) suspended or terminated.

There are many other hosting companies that offer an easier to manage “reselling” environment if you want a “cPanel/WHM” type of operation. :wink:

–rlparker

Thank You! You are the best! I have two more questions:
1 - Can I build upload center?
2 - Can I build blog system (A free blog center with WordPress)?

Uh, did you read where rlparker said:

That’s the part where you’re supposed to say, “Oh, then maybe I should take my business to a host that won’t cancel my entire hosting account when I resell to someone who uploads copyrighted material…” or “Oh, maybe I should take my business to one of those hundreds of other web hosts that encourages reselling and has the pre-installed support tools to let me do so easily.”

[quote]1 - Can I build upload center?
2 - Can I build blog system (A free blog center with WordPress)?[/quote]
Can you? That is, are you capable of doing these things?

BTW, this is mostly a customer-to-customer forum. We’re just customers here. If you’re looking for a more definitive answer from Dreamhost staff themselves, you should contact pre-sales support using the following contact form:
http://dreamhost.com/contact.cgi

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
More Dreamhost coupons

[quote]1 - Can I build upload center?
2 - Can I build blog system (A free blog center with WordPress)?[/quote]
Now that you’ve been warned, the answers are “yes” and “yes.” With shell access, you’re free to shoot yourself in both feet in just about any way you wish.

-Scott

Thanks anyone!

[quote]This makes “general purpose reselling” very risky for you, as it is highly likely that, should you sell to “just anybody”, one of your “clients” could easily get your own account (and all your other “clients” accounts) suspended or terminated.
[/quote]
This is the best answer to clear your doubt.

You can have wordpress installed in your server. Actually DH provides one-click installs which provides a lot of open source applications. You may consider to run some others for your business.

All the best!

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I belive whm is for cPanel (www.cpanel.net). DreamHost uses its own control panel.

I so sorry for bothering you, but can you install it?

Dreamhost doesn’t run cpanel, so no, you can’t install it.

They’re Dreamhost coupons!

These questions comes up every ones in a while. It’s very easy to think “hey, 500 GB of disk space, 5 TB bandwidth, now I can start my own YouTube, $9.95 /month”.

Do you think that Google, YouTube or FaceBook would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on data centers and web servers when they could just put it on DreamHost for only $9.95 per month?

No, they would not do that. Because when you sign up with DreamHost you get access to a shared server. That means that you, and maybe hundreds of other customers uses the same server. If one of them would use enormous amounts of bandwidth and even more important, CPU resources, all sites on that server would get slow.

DreamHost is a great host for typical personal web sites, personal blogs, a personal photo gallery, email and so on. It’s however not a great host for resellers, file hosting sites and similar.

Well let’s be fair here. Dreamhost offers 5tb of bw and 0.5tb of space. If you want to, you can use that. If you get into trouble for JUST using that, you can cry foul and raise a ruckus – DreamHost may be overselling, but this includes the possibility that some of their customers WILL use what they are offered.
It is a great host for file hosting (mind you, nothing like 1-click sharing since that usually gets you loads of DMCA notices), and they REALLY can’t complain about static filehosting using 10-40mbit/s on your account; if there were impossible, they’d be employing deceitful advertizing practices. If you are on a server where it’s IMPOSSIBLE to use the provided traffic due to other users on that server doing the same, make them move you to a server where you can.

Of course, YouTube and FaceBook live from dynamic content, and dynamic content is a lot more CPU-intensive to serve than a simple sendfile() system-call.

If you use enormous amounts of bandwidth and diskspace within the provided limits, all the more power to you. If you use more CPU than static files though, you will find yourself in hot waters.

Agree. I think resellers will need dedicated server and distribute (or sell) the bandwidth to their subscribers. If resellers are on a shared server, their subscribers will suffer from the shared resources. It is not a good idea UNLESS subscribers do not mind this.

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

I don’t necessarily agree that resellers need a dedicated server unless they plan to have a lot of accounts.

A simple reseller plan at a shared web host running cpanel and WHM would be sufficient.

In fact, if you look around at web hosts advertising reseller plans, one should observe that these web hosts have two kinds of plans - regular personal plans and reseller plans. So even reseller-friendly web hosts distinguish between customers who intend to resell from customers who just want their own web hosting. Not surprisingly, the reseller plans cost more.

Logic would say that if one wants to use WHM, that one find a web host running cPanel and WHM. Coming to Dreamhost and looking for WHM is like going to Taco Bell and ordering fried chicken.

They’re Dreamhost coupons!