Can I host just a subdomain with DH?

I have a domain that’s hosted with another hosting company (targeted to Chinese market, would be unwise to host in US), and I now want to make a English version of the site on a subdomain which is ideally hosted in US (DreamHost, of course). Now my question is how do I do this?

I tried to add a subdomain directly into my DH account without adding the primary domain.com first. It rejected me by stating that I had to add the primary domain first.

Another option is that I change the name servers to ns1.dreamhost.com but then the primary A record would be uneditable.

Any way I can accomplish what I want? Seems a mission impossible.

New Webster Project: Redefine all English Dictionary Words!
Make a Website

Go ahead and add the main domain here, even if you’re not going to use it. You need to do this to allow for a subdomain.

Once you create that subdomain here, get the IP address from your shell account’s command line with ‘host sub.example.com’ so you can create an A record at your other hosting company’s DNS configuration.

Once that’s all set up, you can delete the main domain if you’d like. I’d just leave it for future convenience.

-Scott

Thanks for the tip, Scott. But the main domain is for Chinese market so I’d prefer leaving it with a host within China.

It sucks.

New Webster Project: Redefine all English Dictionary Words!
Make a Website

It doesn’t suck. You won’t use the main domain here. But you need to create it as a prerequesite to allow you to create the subdomain. Re-read my directions. Your Chinese domain will still control DNS and what points where. You just need to add the subdomain to your Chinese domain DNS.

-Scott