Can I erase error.log?

I’m testing and would like to delete or clear error.log so I don’t have to wade through previous errors when I do a new test.

Is this possible?

I can’t seem to chmod or rm the file.

Correct. You will not be able to erase your logs, as you don’t “own” them. They are owned by the “root” user, and the permissions are set so that you cannot delete them.

–rlparker

You could reduce the number of days (minimum 3?) logs are saved, in the panel, and see if the file gets erased within a few days. Or ask Support to erase it.

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Thanks. Okay… Can I change where the errors get logged to and make it a file I can write to? I thought I read somewhere that I could…

[quote]I’m testing and would like to delete or clear error.log so I don’t have to wade through previous errors when I do a new test.

Can I change where the errors get logged to and make it a file I can write to? I thought I read somewhere that I could…

[/quote]

I don’t know how you can change where error logs get written (at Dreamhost), but you could copy the log files to a different directory where you could make changes to the files. New log entries wouldn’t get automatically added, but you could copy the “real” log file to your directory periodically to get new entries.

==

You are welcome to a refund.-Michael;Comparing ‘DH of today’ with ‘DH of old’ does not serve much purpose.-Dallas

Use tail -f error.log when I do a new test.

:wink: [color=#CC0000]Here[/color] are my Hosting Plan Comparision and $97 off DreamHost Promo Code