Can I do this using DreamHost and CNAME?

wordpress

Hi all,

This is a bit complicated (at least, to me!) so I’ll do my best to explain what I need done. I know another hosting company provides domain mapping, but since I have an existing DH account, would rather use it if possible.

I have an existing website with a company that doesn’t host subdomains. They recently added functionality that would allow me to host a subdomain with a third party that allows domain mapping.

Currently, I have “domain1.com” at SiteBuildIt, my existing website. I want to create “subdomain.domain1.com” and have it point to “domain2.com”, which would host a wordpress blog here at Dreamhost. To do this, I am told Dreamhost needs to allow domain mapping.

Can I do this? And if so…how?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jennifer

If you mean to do domain mapping in DH, check this DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> DNS or DH panel --> Domains --> Manage Domains --> Web Hosting --> Edit

Just in case if you don’t know how to go to DH panel. You can log in via https://panel.dreamhost.com with your email address and password. (Those when you signed up the hosting plan)

$50 off and 3 free domains with code: [color=#CC0000]DH3[/color] Sign Up NOW or More Codes Here

SiteBuildIt says it offers unlimited “subdomain redirects”. What I’m not sure of is how those “redirects” are implemented.

Jenn, when you create a subdomain at SiteBuildIt, what options do you have for “redirecting” it?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!

This is what SiteBuildIt says we need to do to get this to work:

1. install our blog, forum, shop, whatever on a third-party host with a dedicated domain name

2. in SBI, we set up a subdomain name and indicate the third party’s CNAME info. The third party needs to allow domain mapping in order for it all to work.

I’ve been mucking around a bit and tried the following, but don’t know yet if it works; waiting for propagation.

1. I installed Wordpress on my domain at www.popular-dog-names.com

2. Went to DNS under popular-dog-names.com and created a custom dns record as:

Name: blog.popular-dog-names.com
Type: CNAME
Value: blog.favorite-puppy-names.com (my SBI site)

1. I then logged into my Site Build It panel and created a subdomain as blog.favorite-puppy-names.com and input the CNAME value as blog.popular-dog-names.com

Does this make any sense? lol

Thanks so much to both of you for trying to help!

I guess I’m confused and need the following clarifications:

1. Where do you have DNS services?
  2. What are your nameservers?
  3. Do you have a full Dreamhost hosting account?
  4. Do you want to host a subdomain at Dreamhost or at Site BuildIt?

What are [color=#CC0000]50DISK50[/color], [color=#CC0000]3DOM50[/color], and [color=#CC0000]1IP1DOM50[/color]?
They’re Dreamhost coupons!