Can I create my own Nameserver?

Hi,
I’ve got a normal account with dreamhost. I have various other sites too. Is it possible that I can create my own nameserver?

No, I don’t believe that this is somethig you can do in a shared hosting enviroment. Why can’t you work with the name servers that Dremhost has? Between custom records, and the help of support you should be able to accompolish most things.

-Matttail

Basically… I don’t want my competitors to be using dreamhost aswell… Everytime I do something good or move to a good place they always move there and match me at what I’m doing or suck up to those reseller account owners and get a copy of my content. I really do not want them finding out about my true nameserver.

You realize it’s absolutely trivial to find out where any given site is hosted, regardless of the DNS names of its nameservers, don’t you?

What does this have to do with copying your content?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Yes you can IF you have your domains registered with Directnic. I use custom nameservers on a few of my sites.

Use the coupon code FIVEZEROOFF when signing up to Dreamhost for an instant $50 off!

OK, say if i offer a service, they will simply do the exactly same thing and be able to offer the exact same! Example if I run a music site, they will open it too and be able to upload just as much as I do… come on, think about it. And stay on topic!

Most of kchrist’s reply WAS on topic. Anyone can always find out your hosting provider. No matter what nameservers you use, the nameservers will always resolve back to an IP address. That IP address will always belong to a block of IP addresses which is assigned to a particular organization. So even if you set up your own nameservers, the IP address they report for your site will turn up as belonging to New Dream Network, and you’ll be revealed as a Dreamhost customer. All of this is easily accessible public information.

Now, if you could convince IANA to issue you a block of IP addresses, the IP address lookup would trace back to your corporation, not the name of your hosting provider. But you still have a problem because people can trace the route to your IP address and see whose routers they go through, and figure out your hosting arrangement from that.

You really just have to keep competing with the other sites – that’s what free-market competition is! You’re on a level playing field, and you have to fight it out. Concealing information might be an effective way to compete, but it’s not the best way (especially in this situation) – put your energy into doing a better job than the other sites.

OK, say if i offer a service, they will simply do the exactly same thing and be able to offer the exact same! Example if I run a music site, they will open it too and be able to upload just as much as I do…

This is absurd. Suppose for a moment that your “competition” doesn’t know who you’re buying hosting service from. How does this prevent their buying service somewhere else and competing with your business from there? Web hosting companies are a dime a dozen these days; it’s not like anyone running a similar business to yours won’t know how to get hosting on their own.

come on, think about it. And stay on topic!

Take it easy, junior. Everything I said was a direct response to something you said:

a) There is no way to hide who you’re buying hosting service from
b) Even if you could, this would not magically keep your competition at bay.

How’s this for going off-topic?

Everytime I do something good or move to a good place they always move there and match me at what I’m doing or suck up to those reseller account owners and get a copy of my content.

You sound awfully paranoid. Have you thought about talking to someone about this?

If you want useful replies, ask smart questions.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe your content was not secure, making it easy for someone to copy your content.
Legit web host providers are not in the business of giving away their customer’s content, this would be extremely bad for business.
Silk