Can Dreamhost support large file uploads via HTML?

I have a site that allows certain privileged users to upload music files via an HTML form. Unfortunately, these files can be very large (up to 10 MB) and my current host usually bombs out (due to insufficient allocated memory, timeouts, whatever) before the file can be processed by the script and saved. Would this be a problem on Dreamhost?

If you are using PHP to handle the file uploads, there is a 7Mb limit.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)

Ah, thanks. I was poking around and found some other people who had this issue as well as the php.ini fix. I assume that still works?

I did it just last week, and it worked like a charm.

Simon’s website
Save $100 on 1-year plans with promo code [color=#CC0000]SCJESSEY100[/color] (details)

What do you mean? Do you mean that we can change the upload limit via HTML by editing php.ini file?

Save [color=#CC0000]$97[/color] (max discount) on dreamhost plans by using promo code: [color=#CC0000]97CRAZY[/color].

No…not really. You generally can’t really “upload” via HTML (there are exceptions in certain environments - for instance, using Java w/Apache - ala Jakarta); that was a mis-statement on the part of the original poster.

What Simon was saying that you could change the upload limit for uploads facilitated by PHP - That is what I (and I believe, Simon) took the original poster to mean.

–rlparker

Does that involve editing a php.ini - can that be done? Or do you mean a complete new php install and edit the php.ini in that?

You can edit php.ini but only if you perform your own install of PHP within your home directory I believe.

Advanced PHP Configuration

Web Hosting Review | Hot Product Directory

It isn’t as bad as that. The wiki has a procedure for using your own PHP.ini file with the DreamHost installation of PHP that works pretty well.

Simon’s website

Cheers for that Simon, will have to remember this for future reference. :slight_smile:

Web Hosting Review | Hot Product Directory

Another option would be to configure PHP to run as an Apache module and set the required ini file settings in your .htaccess file using php_value and php_flag. For example;

[color=#0000CC]AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .php
php_value upload_max_filesize 20M
php_value post_max_size 20M
php_flag register_globals off[/color]

I should note that running PHP as an Apache module is somewhat less secure than PHP-CGI and definitely not recommended unless you fully understand the risks involved. The wiki article below details some of the differences between the two (and reasons why you should really stay with PHP-CGI :wink: ).

http://www.wiki.dreamhost.com/index.php/KB_/Web_Programming/_CGI,PHP&Databases/_PHP#What.27s_the_difference_between_PHP-CGI_and_PHP_as_an_Apache_module.3F

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

There are two problems with this approach. Firstly, not every server has the option available. Secondly, you would be forced to use PHP4.

Simon’s website

Yep, add to that the fact that some PHP functions have been disabled when running as an Apache module, for security reasons I believe, and the Apache module approach looks even less inviting.

I should point out that I was not recommending the approach, just throwing the idea out there as a possibility. I personally believe the wiki article that you posted is a much better alternative, and one that I’ve used successfully on a number of my domains.

Mark

Save [color=#CC0000]$50[/color] on DreamHost plans using [color=#CC0000]PRICESLASH[/color] promo code (Click for DreamHost promo code details)

Look in to Uber Uploader:

http://uber-uploader.sourceforge.net/

It’s incredibly easy to install and setup, and I’ve managed to upload 2GB+ files using it without any problems at all.

It uses Perl as the main uploading engine, PHP and javascript to give feedback to the user.

Andy

Nice pointer amnuts! If someone gets it working it’d be kinda sweet to add it to the wiki.

Wholly

does the php.ini fix still work? I increased my limit last week but now it’s back to 7M and I keep changing the php.ini file in my cgi-bin directory and it won’t change.

thanks

Thank you! That script looks to exactly solve the problem of allowing large user file uploads!