Can a subdomain be hosted somewhere else?

I have a site that I’m hosting with DreamHost (sitename.com); I want to create a subdomain (gallery.sitename.com) that will be hosted with another company. The main domain is for the public; the subdomain is going to be used for a large, art image database that is using Filemaker. A select group of art dealers will have access to the subdomain in order to choose works to be placed in their galleries. It’s important that the URLs be similar, and it just makes sense to create a subdomain for the image database.

My question is: is it possible to have a subdomain point to another host? If so, can someone tell me how to do it?

I tried to do it where the domain is registered, Network Solutions, but in order to access the advanced DNS tools I have to switch the DNS to Network Solution, which I don’t want to do. Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Go and set up the subdomain at the other hosting site, just like you’d do for setting up a domain. Back here, go to the panel under Domains -> Manage Domains and click DNS for your domain. Add an “A” record for “subdomain” and give it a value of the IP address of the other webserver. You’ll probably want an A record for “www.subdomain” as well.

-Scott

Thanks for the quick response.

Keep in mind that an IP address may change from time to time if they swap out servers, move you, whatever. So if it goes unresponsive, double-check the IP address.

-Scott