C++ Library error trying to install ht://Dig

apps

I’m not an experienced *nix user, so this may be over my head. Installing ht://Dig on my site for simple searches within the site.

Following the ht://Dig instructions, after extracting files, ran ./configure

configure failed with this error message:

configure: error: To compile ht://Dig, you will need a C++ library. Try installing libstdc++.

Does Dreamhost have this library installed? If so, how do I access it during configuration?

Hmm, I guess no takers on this thread.

If no one has any ideas for my ht://Dig issue, can anyone suggest a free search tool I can install to do internal site searches? When I inquired with Dreamhost, the support person pointed me to SEO info, but I’m not worried about external search engines.

I’m transferring a site which is a collection of playlists for a local radio show, and people who visit the site often want to search within it for a band or song.

The playlists are all static html pages, so I need a simple tool to search them. I don’t want to pay Google to install their search on the site.

Thanks

About a year ago, this came up. I did a search for “libstdc” in all forums for all time.

sXi recommended this link:
http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libstdc++6

A while back, some other user also tried to implement their own search. You don’t have to pay Google to install their search on your site. You can add a customized Google search box that only searches within your domain.

-Scott

Woah a week for a reply (didn’t notice this one either, sry).

The Google Search option is worth a look - it’s pretty good (and free!).

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks for the replies.

Prior to my original post, I did do a forum search and found the link that Scott suggests. However, the packages on the Debian page require you to know what kind of processor the server is running (where do I find that info?), and the page is pretty scary to a non-programmer like me.

My only issue with the free version of Google Custom Search is that it displays ads on the search results. Ad-free versions start at $100/year.

Update:
I got the server (argonauts) proc info: Intel Xeon

However, this is the list of architectures on the Debian page:
Architecture
alpha
amd64
arm
armel
hppa
i386
ia64
mips
mipsel
powerpc
s390
sparc

Is the Xeon an ia64 chip? Sorry to sound so clueless about this…

ia64 is an Itanium. Try i386.

-Scott

OK, I’m back and I finally had time to try installing the libstdc++ package. I found instructions for installing a Debian package on Linux, but when I tried, the system said I didn’t have super user privileges. Does that mean I’m totally out of luck here?

I logged into shell and tried this command:
sudo dpkg -i deblibstdc++6_4.3.2-1.1_i386.deb

I tried twice, and both times it said “djsue is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.”

Am I going to get a nastygram from Dreamhost security?

I also tried to install not as sudo and system returned “dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege”

A “nastygram” haha :slight_smile:

Set up your env PATHs to point at local directories when installing serious software.

E.g. export PATH=$loc/bin:$PATH export CPATH=$loc/include:/usr/local/include:$CPATH

Maximum Cash Discount on any plan with MAXCASH

How To Install PHP.INI / ionCube on DreamHost

Thanks again for your help.

Do both of the examples you site above have to be included when you run the package installer?

I created a bin directory and an include directory in my home directory, and again attempted to install the deblibstdc++6_4.3.2-1.1_i386.deb

I tried these commands:
[argonauts]$ export PATH=$loc/bin:$PATH
[argonauts]$ export CPATH=$loc/include:/usr/local/include:$CPATH
[argonauts]$ dpkg -i deblibstdc++6_4.3.2-1.1_i386.deb

And I got this response:
dpkg: requested operation requires superuser privilege

…then I tried prefixing the command with “sudo” and got the “not a super user, this incident will be reported” message again.

Can you give me any other tips? As a reminder, I’m a Linux newbie, so I don’t always know which text in your examples is a placeholder which I should replace with my own directory or file names, and which text can be typed literally.