Broken link?


#1

I’ve gotten a report that one of my websites http://www.farbeitfromme.com/mintyfresh is a broken link, but when I go to it, everything seems fine (admittedly, it just got a design change, so there may be a few bugs, but on the whole everything seems accessible). Is there any reason that the site would be up for me but down for them? I want to tell these guys that there’s nothing wrong with the site, but I don’t want to tell them that until I’m sure it’s true. Thanks!


#2

“broken link” is kinda vague. There could be a number of issues that wouldn’t have anything to do with DH even. Usually you’ll get some type of error message that would help narrow down the problem, such as server not found, connection refused, etc. that would be network related, or something HTTP-related like page not found, internal server error, etc…

Perhaps the problem is a simple as the fact the the URI should be written as http://www.farbeitfromme.com/mintyfresh/ to be technically correct? When the URI is to a directory, you’re supposed to put the trailing slash. If you don’t, the browser hits the web site twice. The first time the web server says “hey you forgot the slash, here try again”

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML CSS


#3

Mac, OS9.2, IE 5.17, I got it the first try.


#4

Interesting site you’ve got, curry_hurry. I had no problems accessing it. I use Firefox 0.8.
Have an Allens’ Mintie. :slight_smile:

  • marsbar

#5

Not sure if you’re replying what I said or the OP, but this is what happens behind the scenes:

[code]http://mydomain/subdirectory

GET /subdirectory HTTP/1.1
Host: openvein.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040317
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,/;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.x 301 Moved Permanently
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:03:44 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) DAV/1.0.3 mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6c PHP/4.3.5
Location: http://mydomain/subdirectory/
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=100
Connection: Keep-Alive
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

http://mydomain/subdirectory/

GET /subdirectory/ HTTP/1.1
Host: openvein.org
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7b) Gecko/20040317
Accept: text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,/;q=0.5
Accept-Language: en-us,en;q=0.5
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate
Accept-Charset: ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
Keep-Alive: 300
Connection: keep-alive

HTTP/1.x 200 OK
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:03:44 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) DAV/1.0.3 mod_gzip/1.3.26.1a mod_ssl/2.8.10 OpenSSL/0.9.6c PHP/4.3.5
MS-Author-Via: DAV
Last-Modified: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:58:36 GMT
Etag: "5a6380-46f-3b5d46cc"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99
Connection: Keep-Alive
Content-Type: text/html
Content-Encoding: gzip
Content-Length: 613[/code]The first time, the web server adds the trailing slash to the URI and tells the browser to request that URI instead. The browser requests the modified URI automatically and since it is proper format this time, the directory page is returned. This has probably nothing to do with OP’s “broken link” situation unless the reporter is using a broken client that doesn’t follow redirects.

There is a GIF file missing though: http://www.farbeitfromme.com/mintyfresh/blank.gif
Its apparently used as a spacer and thus its absence is not noticable.

:cool: Perl / MySQL / HTML+CSS