Bring back e-mail forwarding!

I am so close to migrating to another host.

Last year you removed e-mail forwarding from individual mailboxes.

This year you removed the e-mail forwarding option from mail filters.

You are slowly disabling and removing functionality from things that are so simple and yet essential to running a simple hosting platform.

I originally liked Dreamhost for it’s excellent price and simple ease of use with tons of built in functionality.

I will be leaving Dreamhost because the price isn’t worth the headache and all the new workarounds. You killed a simple and easy to use platform and put too many workarounds and demands on your customers because you are too lazy to punish the bad users.

I expect easy to use e-mail forwarding, and you removed it entirely.

Expecting your customers to rely on alternate mail hosting services, like Gmail is absolutely ridiculous. That’s like selling a new car with a locked radio and telling you that you now need to install a 3rd party radio because they don’t want to deal with it.

1 Like

Can we at least get a link to a page that explains the rationale for removing these key features? I left host that uses SmarterMail for DreamHost because DreamHost has excellent support for bulk forward-only email addresses (I have over 400) and it is super easy to load/edit them with DreamHost (no bulk edit with SmarterMail).

But the lack of forwarding from a hosted email account is unacceptable. Please update us on the status of this feature and when you’ll have it back.

Just out of curiousity, is that 400 aliases to 400 alternates or 400 aliases to a single recipient address?

400+ aliases to one or more recipient addresses. I have several core fully hosted addresses (real email accounts) used for various purposes (friends, companies/junk, topic-based, etc.). Every webform that asks for an email address get’s a separate alias, no exceptions.

On occasion I have to convert an alias to a real account to send a message out from (usually to the customer service department of some company I’ve ordered from).

Over the years, I’ve collected about 30 aliases I’ve had to disable due to spam. The worst by far is Fidelity- I’m up to my fourth aliases for them. They’ve been holding steady for about 10 years, so I think they finally locked down their systems.

I was going to suggest using an “insta-alias” (DH apparently still support them by default on every email in the form of realUser +nameOfExternalWebFormOrSite @domain.tld) which allows you to send-to-Spam via a filter if an endpoint misbehaves by selling your address or their database gets h4x0r’d and leaked – but that doesn’t help much in a situation that you require to use the “original” mock address (with the +part@ intact).

That deficiency is important. But the thing that kills the deal for me is the fact that any spammer/hacker/other now knows the base email (realUser). That makes that approach far less than worthless.

realUser address can be a throwaway with a filter that if it doesn’t include a + part it automatically gets sent > /dev/null by default.

Regardless, workarounds are probably academic at this point because that’ll be the next thing that Suddenly Goes Missing™. DH have been trying to drop email since I joined in 2008. They used to have catch-alls and dropped them with no grandfathering for old accounts. The removal of Also-Forwards is just another effort to push email users off the system.

1 Like

That totally sucks to hear (DH moves to drop email support). I just started about a month ago, and now I have to go find another email host that supports bulk alias management. Let me know if you find a good one.

Most big webhosts have been dropping email support and nudging everyone to “email hosts” for ages. Email has always been the bane of webhosts (and most especially “Shared” hosts).

As for a “good” mail host, I’ve always installed private mailservers for clients. After seeing the chatter here about email I’ve been trialing a method over the past month that uses a very well known company’s infrastructure, offers 100GB of email/file storage, and costs ZERO dollars per month.

Yes, $0 per month. I shit you not.

Actually, you can get 200GB for free because you can run 2 x 100GB instances for $0 “forever” – so if you really need that much history you could set up mx1.domain.tld and mx2.domain.tld and have at it.

OK, so which email servers do you prefer? I can set one up on an EC2. I just need patch management to be super painless or better- automated.

Any VPS is okay assuming ports are open for SMTP. For 400+ aliases I’d suggest 512MB RAM + 1 vCPU (less RAM will work but you’d probably want to forego accessories such as SpamAssassin, etc. if you’re getting a shitload of mails per minute).

Oracle “free tier” will give you 2x VPS ARM 0CPUs with 1GB RAM each and 100GB block storage each. Free “forever”.
Caveats if using free resources:
IPv4 only.
Network limited to 50MB/s
^ Totally fine for email.

RackNerds has a (hidden) deal atm via LowEndBox (duckduckgo it) at ~20 USD for TWO YEARS… full root VPS, 1GB RAM, 17GB RAID10 SSD, 3TB bandwidth per month on their high-end pipe.

I’m using both. Oracle Free is cool enough for a personal email server.

You’ll require the ability to set a PTR record (rDNS) so that blacklists will stay off your arse. Vultr you can set your own, Oracle you just send a ticket and support will set one for you, same with RackNerds. Unsure about EC2 as haven’t used them for a few years now – but back in the day they were totally cool with everything. Hit them up and ask before making a decision on whether or not to bother paying them.

1 Like

Thanks for this great info. I ran across a walkthrough for EC2. You can send a request to Amazon for rDNS. But I like the price of FREE!

There is nothing at all wrong with Free!

Grab an account. Ignore the “free $200 to try things out” or whatever they throw at you – just hit Upgrade after signing up, buying nothing.

Set up 1 or 2 “free tier” ARM instances with 100GB block storage each.

The trick with Oracle is not being on the “trial period” before setting up anything because instances are automatically deleted when the “trial period” runs out and you have to set everything up again (due to being provisioned a different IP, etc.).

1 Like